UK
Former UK Prince Andrew arrested over 'misconduct' amid Epstein files row
London/IBNS: Former UK royal Prince Andrew has been arrested at his temporary residence on the Sandringham estate amid an investigation into alleged misconduct in public office, according to reports.
Thames Valley Police confirmed on Thursday that officers had arrested a man in his sixties, without naming him, in line with standard UK legal practice.
The police said the arrest followed a “thorough assessment” of the allegations and that a formal investigation had now been opened.
Police confirm investigation after ‘thorough assessment’
In a statement, Thames Valley Police said they were assessing claims that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor had shared trade-related reports with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein in 2010.
“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” the police said, adding that protecting the integrity and objectivity of the inquiry remained a priority.
The BBC reported that the investigation centres on whether confidential information linked to Andrew’s former role as a trade envoy was improperly disclosed.
Police presence reported at Wood Farm
Earlier in the day, six unmarked police vehicles and around eight plainclothes officers were seen arriving at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate, according to Reuters.
The arrest reportedly took place on the morning of Andrew’s 66th birthday.
Renewed scrutiny over Epstein files
Pressure on the former prince has intensified following the release of millions of previously unseen documents, emails and photographs from the so-called Epstein Files.
Among them were images alleged to show Andrew in compromising situations, further fuelling public scrutiny.
The documents reportedly suggest that Andrew shared updates on official overseas visits to Singapore, Hong Kong and Vietnam during 2010 and 2011, along with information related to potential investment opportunities.
Loss of titles and Royal status
In 2025, Andrew’s brother, King Charles III, formally stripped him of his remaining royal titles over his association with Epstein.
He was also removed from royal residences, marking a decisive break between the monarchy and the disgraced former duke.
Virginia Giuffre's allegations
Epstein trafficking victim Virginia Giuffre has alleged that Andrew sexually assaulted her when she was 17. Andrew has consistently denied the claim.
Following the publication of Giuffre’s book and mounting public pressure, Andrew withdrew from royal duties after a widely criticised 2019 BBC interview in which he attempted to refute the allegations.
In 2022, he reached a multi-million-pound out-of-court settlement with Giuffre after she filed a civil lawsuit in New York.
While admitting no wrongdoing, Andrew acknowledged her suffering as a victim of sex trafficking.
Probe underway
Police have said that the investigation remains at an early stage.
No charges have yet been announced, and authorities have reiterated that all inquiries will proceed independently and without prejudice as the case develops.
Support Our Journalism
We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism
IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.
