February 22, 2026 12:09 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit

Al-Shabab attacks US military base in Kenyan coastal county

| @indiablooms | Jan 05, 2020, at 04:15 pm

Lamu, Kenya/Xinhua/UNI: The Somali extremist group al-Shabab said it has attacked the US military base in Kenya's coastal Lamu County on Sunday morning.

The police said the airstrip used by the US marine was destroyed and aircraft were burned.

"There was a lot of gunfire between the militants and soldiers in the military base. Some aircraft and vehicles belonging to the US were burnt," a police officer who declined to be named told Xinhua.

But the Kenyan military said in a statement that the airstrip was safe after soldiers repelled the attack and killed four attackers.

Paul Njuguna, spokesman of the Kenya Defense Forces, said that the Manda airstrip, which is near a military camp that is estimated to host more than 160 US soldiers, is safe after an attempt to raid it by the Somali extremist group was successfully repulsed.

"The attempted breach was successfully repulsed. Four terrorists' bodies have so far been found," Njuguna said in a brief statement.

"The airstrip is safe," he said, adding that "arising from the unsuccessful breach a fire broke out affecting some of the fuel tanks located at the airstrip. The fire has been put under control and standard security procedures are now ongoing."

Al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack in Lamu County, saying their fighters' "suicide infantry" was involved in the attack.

"Our fighters inflicted severe casualties on both US and Kenyan troops, destroyed US military aircraft and vehicles," al-Shabab said in a statement.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.