May 21, 2026 08:43 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Twisha Sharma death mystery deepens as crucial evidence ‘not shared’ during autopsy: Report | Balcony Smiles, Colosseum Walks and ‘Melodi’ Magic: Modi-Meloni Chemistry Has The Internet Swooning Again | Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial | Left era ends in Kerala! V.D. Satheesan takes oath as CM after UDF’s massive comeback | Drone strike near UAE nuclear plant sparks panic—India calls it a ‘dangerous escalation' | Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report

Sitaram Yechury questions Govt's national security commitment

| | Jul 19, 2017, at 09:25 pm
New Delhi, July 18 (IBNS): CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury on Wednesday doubted the central government's commitment towards national security as the "defence ministry is mostly run by part timers."

In a tweet, Yechury said: "25.3% of Modi govt so far (292 days out of 1148) has been with a part-time Defence minister. Is this govt's commitment to national security?"

Yechury said that the defence ministry under Modi government ran by part timers for around 25% of the total number of days of the tenure.

Presently, the ministry is in charge of the finance minister Arun Jaitley, who assumed the office after his predecessor Manohar Parikkar resigned.

Parikkar resigned to become the Goa chief minister this year.

Jaitley earlier also served as the defence minister for few months apart from finance, after Modi government came to power.

Yehchury's concern probably came after India's current standoff with China and the perpetual conflict with Pakistan.

The standoff started following a violation by the Chinese government, who started building a road in the Dongland area of Sikkim Sector.

The action is a violation of a 2012 agreement between New Delhi and Beijing.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.