May 24, 2026 02:27 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Honoured to visit the Missionaries of Charity today, says Rubio after Kolkata visit, arrives in Delhi | Marco Rubio's India visit begins in Kolkata: Trade, defence and Quad talks take centre stage | Third fuel price hike in India in 10 days: Here’s what you’ll pay now | Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60%

Kashmir unrest: Curfew, shutdown continue

| | Aug 26, 2016, at 04:17 am
Srinagar, Aug 25 (IBNS): Curfew and restrictions remained in force on the straight 47th day on Thursday in Kashmir, with 69 civilians and two cops killed so far since July 8.

According to reports, authorities have imposed strict restrictions in all ten districts to thwart protest march called by United Hurriyat camps.

Large number of security personnel patrolled on roads.

Normal life has been paralysed in the Valley due to street protests since the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter with the security forces on July 8 in South Kashmir.

The historic Jamai Masjid is under siege since July 8 and authorities prohibited any prayers inside the mosque.

Kashmir clerics have condemned the siege by forces on Jamai Masjid.

Senior police official in Srinagar told IBNS: “Ee are trying maximum restraint during the protest and we did not want any fatalities during the stone pelting.”

He further said, "We have received strict instructions from higher authorities to minimize human causality during the clashes."

Authorities also suspended all mobile network in the Valley to stop rumours from spreading, however BSNL post paid mobile service is working continuously in the valley.

One month long ban on mobile service and internet has effected private mobile companies badly. Rail Service remain suspended since death of Burhan while schools are badly affected due to curfew and protests.

Kashmir separatist groups have extended strike call up to Sept 1 and appealed to people to follow the program strictly.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.