February 16, 2026 12:46 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule | ‘Won’t allow any impediment in SIR’: Supreme Court pulls up Mamata govt over delay in sharing officers’ details | India-US trade deal: ‘Negotiations always two-way’, says Amul MD amid farmers’ concerns

DR Congo: UN special envoy condemns 'trend of massacres' in eastern province

| | Nov 25, 2014, at 05:06 pm
New York, Nov 25 (IBNS) The security situation in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is “worsening,” a senior United Nations official has warned, citing an escalating trend of massacres in the town of Beni – the site of continuing flare-ups of deadly violence between armed groups, including Ugandan-based rebels operating in the area.

The situation in the town has been steadily deteriorating over the past few weeks amid a spate of attacks in which over 100 civilians, mostly women and children, have been killed, according to UN reports.

Saïd Djinnit, UN Special Envoy for the Great Lakes Region, strongly condemned the massacres in a press release on Monday while calling on the local authorities to continue their efforts in arresting and prosecuting those responsible.

“Those behind these massacres should be brought before justice and held accountable,”  Djinnit declared.

In early November, more than 200 people were arrested in operations carried out by the National Police and the police forces of the UN satbilization mission in the country, known as MONUSCO, while UN mission forces also began an intensification of their patrols in the region. Nevertheless, the threat to civilians remains high.

In his statement,  Djinnit urged armed groups active in the restive eastern DRC to “disband permanently” and warned those providing them with support of possible sanctions. In addition, he expressed his full support for MONUSCO’s increased cooperation with the Congolese Armed Forces (FARDC) to reign in the rebels.

To that point, in his briefing of the Security Council in New York last month, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative for the DRC and the head of MONUSCO, Martin Kobler, underlined the need for a “proactive, not reactive” response in countering the country’s rebel groups and boosting protection for civilians.

“The worsening situation in the Beni area and beyond requires a decisive action towards neutralizing all negative forces in the DRC, as per the decisions of the regional leaders and the UN Security Council,”  Djinnit continued, adding that the continuing violence risked destabilizing the tenuous peace process established by the Peace, Security and Cooperation Framework for the DRC and the region.

“The persistence of negative forces contributes to perpetuating mistrust at a time when the Great Lakes countries are expected to move away from their differences and tragedies of past towards building a common peaceful and prosperous future.”

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.