February 16, 2026 10:54 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule | ‘Won’t allow any impediment in SIR’: Supreme Court pulls up Mamata govt over delay in sharing officers’ details | India-US trade deal: ‘Negotiations always two-way’, says Amul MD amid farmers’ concerns

DR Congo: UN official applauds sentencing of militia leader for war crimes

| | Nov 10, 2014, at 04:39 pm
New York, Nov 10 (IBNS) The head of the United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) – also known by its French acronym MONUSCO – has welcomed the sentencing of a former commander of a militia group accused of war crimes as a step towards reinforcing the rule of law in the war-torn African nation.

“I applaud the DRC judiciary authorities' resolve to effectively fight impunity,” stated Martin Kobler in a press release.

“MONUSCO will continue to support the DRC justice system in its efforts to implement a zero tolerance policy for the worst forms of violence committed against civilians in times of conflict.”

On 7 November, a DRC Military Court sentenced General Jérôme Kakwaku to a 10-year prison term for “serious crimes” committed in the country's eastern district of Ituri by the Forces armées du peuple congolais (FAPC).

According to MONUSCO, under General Kakwaku's leadership the FAPC ravaged the Ituri countryside between 2003 and 2005 perpetrating a series of “gross human rights violations” including arbitrary execution, rape, arbitrary arrest, torture, and illegal detention. He is also being held accountable for massacres committed in Kobu and Jicho forest in January 2003.

The press release added that General Kakwaku's name had been on a list of five senior officers of the Congolese Armed Forces accused of rape. The list was handed to President Joseph Kabila in May 2009 by a delegation of the UN Security Council as part of the Organization's support for the Congolese Government's “zero tolerance policy.”

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.