May 21, 2026 03:41 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Twisha Sharma death mystery deepens as crucial evidence ‘not shared’ during autopsy: Report | Balcony Smiles, Colosseum Walks and ‘Melodi’ Magic: Modi-Meloni Chemistry Has The Internet Swooning Again | Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial | Left era ends in Kerala! V.D. Satheesan takes oath as CM after UDF’s massive comeback | Drone strike near UAE nuclear plant sparks panic—India calls it a ‘dangerous escalation' | Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report
China- Philippines
Image: Twitter video grab

Philippines summons Chinese envoy after China Coast Guard fires water cannons at their ship

| @indiablooms | Aug 10, 2023, at 07:21 pm

The Philippines' foreign ministry recently summoned Beijing's envoy to  complain about the China Coast Guard firing water cannon at a Philippine Coast Guard ship while it was escorting a civilian convoy on the South China Sea.

In response, the Chinese government reiterated its demand that the Philippines remove the BRP Sierra Madre, a rusty World War II-era naval ship that Manila deliberately ran aground in the Ayungin Shoal (Second Thomas Shoal) in 1999 to serve as a military outpost in those contested waters, Radio Free Asia reported.

The convoy of Philippines ships was on a mission to deliver food, water, fuel and other supplies to troops stationed aboard the BRP Sierra Madre.

According to reports, the incident happened during this time.

While meeting with the Chinese envoy on Monday morning, Manila conveyed “the strong protest of the Philippine government to the blocking and water cannon operation by the Chinese Coast Guard and Chinese maritime militia vessels against Philippine indigenous boats,” Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman Ma. Teresa Daza told reporters as quoted by RFA.

The Philippine convoy was “conducting [a] regular rotation and resupply” mission to Ayungin Shoal, she said.

The Philippine government also expressed disappointment that it could not reach China’s foreign ministry through a hotline established between the countries earlier this year to improve communication during incidents related to the South China Sea, she said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.