August 19, 2026 01:06 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

More than 100 feared dead as massive landslide hits Sri Lanka

| | Oct 30, 2014, at 02:51 am
Colombo, Oct 29 (IBNS): At least 100 people were feared killed in south-central Sri Lanka on Wednesday after an early morning landslide set off by heavy monsoon rains, media reported.
According to information received, the incident took place in the hilly village of Haldummulla, about 190 km inland from the capital, Colombo. 
 
Media reported that more than 150 houses were buried in the massive landslide. 
 
Around 10 bodies had been found so far, at least 300 people were missing and 150 houses buried in the village, famous for its tea plantations. 
 
"We are not sure about the others. But we are trying our best to rescue them," Disaster Management Minister Mahinda Amaraweera told media. 
 
It has been learnt that, people are believed to be buried beneath 10 to 15 feet of mud. 
 
“We don’t know how many people are under the soil,” media quoted Udaya Kumara, assistant director at the Disaster Management Center as saying, who is responsible for the district where the landslide occurred. 
 
He added, “I think more than 100 people will be dead.” 
 
This was reiterated by Amaraweera who later said, “More than 100 people are believed to have died.” 
 
The landslide which hit Wednesday was at least 3 km (2 miles) long. 
 
The villagers had been advised in 2005 and 2012 to move away because of the threat of landslides in the area, but many did not heed the warning, lamented Amaraweera. 
 
It has been learnt that about 75 children had miraculously escaped the disaster, because they were in school.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.