May 22, 2026 12:36 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60% | Twisha Sharma death mystery deepens as crucial evidence ‘not shared’ during autopsy: Report | Balcony Smiles, Colosseum Walks and ‘Melodi’ Magic: Modi-Meloni Chemistry Has The Internet Swooning Again | Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial
Tiananmen Square
UNI

Hong Kong: 6 arrested during Tiananmen Square massacre anniversary

| @indiablooms | Jun 05, 2022, at 11:34 pm

Hong Kong:  At least six people were arrested in Hong Kong as the authorities attempt to restrict public commemoration of the Tiananmen Square massacre.

The Hong Kong citizens held candlelight vigil to mark the 33rd anniversary of 1989 crackdown in Beijing.

In 2020, China had banned the city's annual public vigil.

BBC quoted the Hong Kong Police as saying that five men and one woman had been arrested on Saturday in the vicinity of Victoria Park, where a candlelight vigil marking the 1989 crackdown in Beijing would have been held.

Several images also became viral on social media showing people being detained.

However, the heavy police presence had failed to deter some Hongkongers from approaching the park and conducting their own acts of commemoration in defiance -- by holding up electronic candles and phone flashlights or quietly singing songs of remembrance, CNN reported.

One of the attendees of the vigil who is also a volunteer for the Tiananmen Mothers Campaign said, "It's heartbreaking to see (Victoria Park) like this. Hong Kong has sunk far and fast into a police state."

On Friday, the authorities said, "Police noticed that some people have been spreading messages on the Internet to incite others to take part in unauthorised assemblies at Victoria Park and in Causeway Bay on June 4.

"The Leisure and Cultural Services Department would close part of the Victoria Park including the central lawn, football pitches and basketball courts from 11 pm on June 3."

It further said that participating in an unauthorised assembly risks committing offences under the Public Order Ordinance, and on conviction, will bring a maximum penalty of five years' imprisonment.

(With UNI inputs)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.