May 21, 2026 08:29 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60% | Twisha Sharma death mystery deepens as crucial evidence ‘not shared’ during autopsy: Report | Balcony Smiles, Colosseum Walks and ‘Melodi’ Magic: Modi-Meloni Chemistry Has The Internet Swooning Again | Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial
Zhou Xiaoxuan
Image: Twitter/Wikimedia Commons

China's Me Too: Screenwriter Zhou Xiaoxuan vows not to give up after court rejects appeal

| @indiablooms | Aug 13, 2022, at 04:45 am

Beijing: Zhou Xiaoxuan, who was the first Chinese woman to be at the centre of the landmark China’s #MeToo movement case, has decided not to give up after a court rejected her appeal for an apology and damages, media reports said on Saturday.

In 2018 Zhou Xiaoxuan accused a high-profile state TV presenter, Zhu Jun, of forcibly kissing and groping her during a 2014 internship.

The case inspired many others to share their experiences of sexual assault and caused a social media storm, reports The Guardian.

On Wednesday the court in Beijing ruled after a closed-door hearing that evidence submitted by the 29-year-old was “insufficient” in proving alleged sexual harassment.

Last year a court ruled against her on similar grounds, prompting her to appeal.

“I’m disappointed but it’s also somewhat expected,” Zhou told the Guardian shortly after hearing the result. “I won’t give up, but I also don’t know what to do next. We seem to have exhausted all the legal means.”

She said the court order dealt a further blow to the country’s #MeToo movement.

In a video she posted online on Tuesday, Zhou said she had no regrets about pursuing the case, told The Guardian.

“I really hope that people don’t have to suffer in the future,” she said. “I hope things will be easier for the next victim who enters legal procedures.”

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.