February 18, 2026 11:31 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback
Photo courtesy: X/IndianArmy

We haven't been able to reach first village ravaged by landslide: Kerala Guv

| @indiablooms | Aug 02, 2024, at 02:08 am

The extent of devastation caused by landslides in Kerala's Wayanad is yet to be known, as rescue teams have not even reached the settlement first struck by the landslides, Governor Arif Mohammed Khan has said as the death count in the calamity crossed the 200 mark.

Speaking to NDTV, the Governor said that the bodies recovered so far are mostly from a village that was devastated as the Chaliyar River changed its course.

"The river changed its course because of the landslides and ravaged a village. These bodies have been recovered from that village. But we have not been able to reach the first village which has been ravaged by the landslide," he said.

This village, the Governor said, has been cut off after a bridge leading to it was washed away. "The Army engineering unit is trying to build a Bailey bridge (a portable bridge) and this may be completed within a few hours," he said, adding that it is not possible to properly assess the scale of damage till the bridge is built.

"It is not possible because we have not been able to reach the first site affected by the landslide," he said.

The Governor stressed that the village struck first by the landslide is "not a remote village". "It is in a hilly area, but it is not remote. It is part of a town area. It is a 100-year-old settlement."

On being asked about Union Home Minister Amit Shah's claim that the Centre had sent landslide alerts to Kerala days before the calamity struck, the Governor said, "Yesterday was not the time to take stock of these things. So I am not in a position to go into that issue. This is the time to share the people's grief, to meet patients, their relatives."

Shah's remark has sparked a political blame game, with Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan refuting the Home Minister's remark and stressing that the Centre's warning came hours after tragedy struck.

Refusing to comment on the same, he said, "If the Home Minister is saying warnings were issued, I have no reason to doubt it."

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.