February 18, 2026 06:21 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback
Photo courtesy: IBNS

Jadavpur University's action against ragging of dead first-year student pending even after a year

| @indiablooms | Aug 16, 2024, at 09:45 pm

Kolkata/IBNS: As protests roiled Bengal over the rape and murder of a trainee doctor at the RG Kar Hospital, many are looking back in anger another incident- the tragic death of an 18-year-old student a year ago on the Jadavpur University campus. The death of the first-year student of JU by falling after facing severe ragging had triggered outrage across the state but not many are aware if justice was meted out to his parents yet. 

A year has passed, but the JU authorities are yet to take actions on the identified students who had ragged the first-year student, according to reports in a local English daily.

The father of the deceased has said the university has only issued show-cause notice to the identified students.

He told The Telegraph, "JU show-caused the students implicated in the committee report, that too only after the education minister Bratya Basu in late July said he would speak to the JU authorities about the inaction.

"We don’t know when JU will announce the punishment and we will get justice."

JU interim Vice-Chancellor Bhaskar Gupta said the university is waiting for the reply to the show-cause letters.

Last year, Swarnodip Kundu, 18, fell fatally from the hostel's second floor on the JU campus. He succumbed to multiple wounds at a nearby city hospital.

Kundu, a resident of Bogulia in Nadia district, was a first-year student in the Bengali Honours stream. He died after allegedly falling from the second-floor balcony of his hostel though mystery still shrounds over what really happened that day.

According to the FIR, the teenager fell off the balcony and died during treatment at KPC Medical College.

Kundu’s parents and friends had alleged that he had been a victim of ragging.

"The show cause should have been wrapped up much earlier... As the university is taking time to act, complaints of harassment of students keep emerging from the same hostel. A postgraduate first-year student had to quit the hostel recently," the father told the daily.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.