February 21, 2026 08:50 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
ED attack
Photo courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

Calcutta HC set up a joint SIT to probe attacks on ED officials, look for Shahjahan Sheikh

| @indiablooms | Jan 18, 2024, at 05:34 am

Kolkata/IBNS/UNI: The Calcutta High Court on Wednesday set up a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the alleged attack on Enforcement Directorate (ED) officials and central forces in front of TMC leader Shahjahan Sheikh's house at Sandeshkhali in North 24 Parganas on Jan 5.

ED officials and the Central Forces were attacked when they went to raid an alleged ration scam in West Bengal.

A single-judge bench of Justice Jay Sengupta ordered the probe to be conducted by the SIT, comprising the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and West Bengal Police.

"The Superintendent of Police, Islampur, will be the state's nominee. Both the CBI and state will have an equal number of personnel in the SIT, which shall be at liberty to requisition Central Forces. The SIT will submit its report before this court by February 12," the judge said.

The order was issued after the ED sought a court directive for a CBI inquiry, as the state police so far could not arrest the alleged mastermind of the attacks.

The judge also ordered the installation of CCTV cameras in front of the house of the TMC leader to gather information on the whereabouts of the fugitive.

On Jan 5, hundreds of local people allegedly surrounded the ED officials and CRPF jawans and beat them up, forcing them to abandon the search operation and run for their lives.

The ED also issued a lookout notice for Shahjahan Sheikh.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.