February 20, 2026 03:53 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Visa Row
Photo courtesy: X/@AvaniDias

Australian journalist alleges she was forced to leave India; govt denies, foreign correspondents protest

| @indiablooms | Apr 24, 2024, at 07:44 pm

New Delhi/IBNS: Australia journalist Avani Dias has alleged that she was forced to leave India "abruptly" as the central government denied an extension of her visa citing her reporting had "crossed a line".

Dias, who works as the South Asian Bureau chief for ABC News, posted on X, "Last week, I had to leave India abruptly. The Modi Government told me my visa extension would be denied, saying my reporting 'crossed a line'. After Australian Government intervention, I got a mere two-month extension ...less than 24 hours before my flight."

"We were also told my election accreditation would not come through because of an Indian Ministry directive. We left on day one of voting in the national election in what Modi calls 'the mother of democracy'."

Dias, who left India last week, had her claim strongly rebutted by the central government, which is run by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).

Rejecting her claims, an Indian official said as quoted by Hindustan Times, "She left because she had to meet the timeline for another job offer in Australia. The reason for her leaving was not delay in issuance of visa but personal reasons."

Several foreign journalists based in India have strongly protested against the issue in an open letter, which was also shared by Avani on her X profile.

The letter reads, "Foreign journalists in India have grappled with increased restrictions on visas and journalism permits for those holding the status of Overseas Citizen of India. The circumstances of Ms. Dias’s departure are further cause for concern."

"We call on the Indian government to facilitate the vital work of a free press in line with India's democratic traditions," it reads.

The issue has come up following Dias' documentary on the allegedly killing Khalistani activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in Canada was removed from YouTube in India.

The issue of Nijjar had triggered a massive diplomatic row after Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said there were "credible allegations of a potential link" between New Delhi and the killing.

The government official claimed the documentary-titled 'Sikhs, Murder and Spies'- was shot without permission.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.