February 20, 2026 10:51 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Photo: Video grab

Sonam Wangchuk under CBI lens: Foreign funding, Pakistan trip probed amid Ladakh unrest

| @indiablooms | Sep 25, 2025, at 04:29 pm

Leh: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has launched an inquiry into alleged violations of the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act by the Himalayan Institute of Alternatives Ladakh (HIAL), founded by educationist and activist Sonam Wangchuk, who has been at the forefront of the statehood movement in Ladakh, media reports said.

Officials said the probe began two months ago and includes scrutiny of Wangchuk’s February 6 visit to Pakistan, according to an NDTV report.

The action follows the Ladakh administration’s August decision to cancel HIAL’s land allotment, which had triggered protests, with local groups calling it an attack on Ladakh’s rights and an attempt to silence voices demanding statehood and Sixth Schedule status.

The probe coincides with accusations that Wangchuk incited violence during recent protests, said the report.

On Wednesday, four people were killed and at least 80 injured, including 40 police personnel, after clashes broke out amid a curfew in the region.

Wangchuk, who had been on a fortnight-long hunger strike, withdrew his protest after two fellow strikers were hospitalised on Tuesday night.

Soon after, the Leh Apex Body’s youth wing called for demonstrations that spiralled into arson and vandalism, with mobs attacking the BJP headquarters, the Hill Council office and vehicles.

Police and paramilitary forces used teargas to restore order.

The Ministry of Home Affairs accused Wangchuk of making “provocative statements” and misleading people with references to Arab Spring-style protests and Gen Z movements in Nepal.

“The demands on which Wangchuk was on hunger strike are integral part of the discussion in HPC. In spite of many leaders urging to call off the hunger strike, he continued with the hunger strike and misleading the people,” it said in a statement.

It stressed that the Centre has been holding multiple rounds of talks with the Leh Apex Body and Kargil Democratic Alliance through the High Powered Committee (HPC), sub-committees and informal channels, but alleged that “politically motivated” elements were trying to derail the dialogue.

Meanwhile, Congress councillor Phuntsog Stanzin Tsepag was booked for allegedly delivering a provocative speech at the hunger strike venue on Tuesday.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.