'Pushpa has bowed; Abhishek Banerjee will too': BJP's targets TMC after Falta candidate quits repoll race
The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has intensified its attack on Trinamool Congress MP Abhishek Banerjee after a party candidate abruptly withdrew from the re-poll in Bengal's Falta, a Diamond Harbour constituency considered Banerjee’s political stronghold.
Jahangir Khan, the TMC candidate who had earlier branded himself as “Pushpa” after the hit Telugu film character, pulled out of the contest just two days before polling, triggering a fresh political slugfest in West Bengal.
Seizing on the development, Union Minister and senior BJP leader Sukanta Majumdar mocked both Khan and Banerjee, saying the “Pushpa” image had collapsed under pressure.
“Several people try to be ‘Pushpa’ but ‘Pushpa’ was a ‘phusss’ this time. Everyone is bending now. AB’s agent bhi jhuk gaya; AB bhi jhukega,” Majumdar said, taking a dig at Banerjee using the famous “Pushpa jhukega nahi” dialogue from the film.
#WATCH | Kolkata, West Bengal: On TMC candidate Jahangir Khan withdrawing his candidature ahead of repoll in Falta, Union MoS Sukanta Majumdar says, "Several people try to be 'Pushpa' but 'Pushpa' was a 'phusss' (flop) this time. So, all these 'Pushpa' and their boss - there used… pic.twitter.com/PhbiMlRbft
— ANI (@ANI) May 19, 2026
From ‘Pushpa’ to pullout
Jahangir Khan had shot into the spotlight during the election campaign after a confrontation with IPS officer Ajay Pal Sharma, who had been deployed as a special observer in South 24 Parganas ahead of the polls.
While Sharma was dubbed Bengal’s “Singham”, Khan projected himself as “Pushpa”, the rebellious protagonist from the blockbuster franchise.
However, Khan struck a conciliatory tone on Tuesday while announcing his withdrawal from the race.
He claimed he stepped aside after Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari promised a special development package for Falta.
“I am withdrawing my nomination in the interest of Falta’s development and peace,” Khan said.
TMC alleges BJP pressure
The Trinamool Congress distanced itself from Khan’s decision and alleged that the BJP was using intimidation and administrative pressure to weaken opposition candidates.
“Our workers remain rock-solid and continue to resist the BJP’s intimidation unleashed through agencies and the administration. However, some eventually succumbed to the pressure and chose to step away from the field,” the party said in a statement.
The decision taken by Jahangir Khan to withdraw from the Falta re-poll is his personal decision and not that of the party.
— All India Trinamool Congress (@AITCofficial) May 19, 2026
Since the election results were declared on 4th May, more than 100 of our party workers have been arrested in Falta AC alone. Several party offices have…
The BJP, however, dismissed the allegation, with Suvendu Adhikari claiming Khan exited because he would not have been able to arrange polling agents.
Why is Falta voting again?
Repolling in Falta was ordered after the earlier election process was abandoned on April 29 following allegations of electoral malpractice and violence.
The fresh polling will be held on Thursday, while counting of votes is scheduled for May 24.
The political battle has gained added significance because Diamond Harbour remains one of Abhishek Banerjee’s key bastions, making the BJP’s aggressive messaging around the Falta contest politically symbolic ahead of the results.
Support Our Journalism
We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism
IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.
