February 21, 2026 06:17 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
S Jaishankar speaking in the Parliament. Photo: Screengrab/Official X handle.

'No calls between Modi and Trump from April 22 to June 17': Jaishankar rejects US Prez's ceasefire claim

| @indiablooms | Jul 28, 2025, at 09:53 pm

External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Monday rejected all claims by Donald Trump that he played a role in negotiating India-Pakistan ceasefire following the Pahalgam terror attack and said there had been any telephonic conversation between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the US President from April 22 to June 17.

Speaking during the 16-hour marathon debate on Operation Sindoor, India's retaliatory action, in the Lok Sabha, Jaishankar said the result of India’s diplomacy post-Pahalgam attack was that only three out of 190 nations which are part of the UN opposed Operation Sindoor.

"I want to make two things very clear — at no stage in any conversation with the US was there any linkage with trade and what was going on. Secondly, there was no call between the prime minister and President Trump from April 22, when President Trump called up to convey his sympathy, till June 17, when he called up, the PM, who was in Canada, explained why he could not meet him," Jaishankar said.

He said multilateral groups such as Quad and BRICS condemned the April 22 Pahalgam attack, besides many individual countries.

"The German foreign minister said India has every right to defend itself against terror and will support us; so has France and the EU," the foreign minister said.

Speaking about the ceasefire and how it happened, Jaishankar said: "On May 10, we received phone calls sharing the impression of other countries that Pakistan was ready to cease the fighting. Our position was that if Pakistan was ready, we needed to get this as a request from the Pakistani side through the DGMO channel. That is exactly how that request came."

Hitting out at Congress party, Jaishankar said that, “We are getting warnings about Pak-China collaboration, when this has been going on for 60 years. People who did nothing have the temerity to question the government which brought down Bahawalpur and Muridke terror sites."

"The longest Pakistan has been under the FATF grey list was under the Modi government," he said.

The foreign minister said that Operation Sindoor is a new normal in how India will respond to terror.

He stated that seven parliamentary delegations went to 33 nations. “…made India proud by explaining our zero tolerance towards terror to world leaders,” he said.

On the post-Pahalgam diplomatic actions by the Indian government, Jaishankar said that the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) had decided that the Indus Waters Treaty would be held in abeyance until Pakistan abjures its support for terrorism, along with a host of other steps.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.