February 20, 2026 06:22 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Iran's chief of staff, Mohammad Bagheri's house was reportedly razed in Israeli strikes, say reports. (Photo: Video grab)

India distances itself from SCO’s statement on Israeli strikes on Iran, reiterates call for diplomacy and dialogue to end face-off

| @indiablooms | Jun 14, 2025, at 11:06 pm

New Delhi: India on Saturday clarified that it did not participate in the discussions that led to a statement by the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) condemning Israeli airstrikes on Iran, as External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar had already spoken to both Iran and Israel, separately, about the situation.

The China-led SCO, which includes China, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Belarus, and India, had “strongly condemned” Israel’s June 13 military action under Operation Rising Lion.

“The member states of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) express serious concern over the escalating tensions in the Middle East and strongly condemn the military strikes carried out by Israel on the territory of the Islamic Republic of Iran on June 13, 2025,” the SCO had said.

It further stated: “Such aggressive actions against civilian targets, including energy and transport infrastructure, which have resulted in civilian casualties, are a gross violation of international law and the United Nations Charter. They constitute an infringement on Iran's sovereignty, cause damage to regional and international security, and pose serious risks to global peace and stability.”

Responding to the statement, India’s Ministry of External Affairs reiterated the country's independent stance. “India's position on the matter had been articulated by us on 13 June 2025, and remains the same. We urge that channels of dialogue and diplomacy be utilised to work towards de-escalation, and it is essential that the international community undertake endeavours in that direction.”

The Ministry stated that External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar spoke to both the nations separately on the issue.

“He conveyed the deep concern of the international community at the turn of events. He also urged the avoidance of any escalatory steps and an early return to diplomacy,” it added.

The ministry confirmed that India had communicated its views to other SCO members and clarified: “In light of this, India did not take part in the discussions on the aforementioned SCO statement.”

The clarification followed a sharp escalation in regional hostilities. Under Operation Rising Lion, Israeli forces launched a large-scale overnight aerial assault on Iranian nuclear and military targets on Friday.

The offensive reportedly resulted in the deaths of senior Iranian military figures and scientists, and inflicted major damage on facilities such as the Natanz nuclear plant.

In retaliation, Iran launched around 200 ballistic missiles at Israeli targets.

Iranian media said an Israeli airstrike on a residential complex killed 60 people, including 20 children.

Iran’s UN envoy placed the overall Israeli strike death toll at 78.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.