August 18, 2026 09:01 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Representative image/ courtesy: Wallpaper Cave

Centre lambasts X over multiple hoax bomb threats to Indian airlines

| @indiablooms | Oct 24, 2024, at 05:52 am

New Delhi/IBNS: The Centre Wednesday lambasted X, previously known as Twitter, after a series of hoax bomb threats to several airlines were posted through the microblogging platform.

In a virtual meeting with social media platforms X and Meta, Joint Secretary Sanket S Bhondve said that the situation amounts to "X abetting crime" and questioned its representatives on the steps it has taken to stop such alarming rumours from spreading, media reports said.

More than 120 flights operated by Indian carriers have received bomb threats over the past few days.

On Tuesday, 30 flights operated by IndiGo, Vistara, and Air India again received such threats.

The airlines said they followed standard operating procedures which included informing the authorities and implementing security protocols.

During a media briefing on the situation on Monday, Civil Aviation Minister K Rammohan Naidu said the government is trying to handle the situation without compromising passengers' safety.

He said that those circulating such hoax threats will face tough action, including being put on a no-fly list.

The government intends to amend the Suppression of Unlawful Acts against Safety of Civil Aviation Act so that action can be initiated for offences when an aircraft is on the ground.

"We are trying to make amendments and the legal team has worked on it... We need consultations with other ministries also... we are definitively pushing forward to have changes in the Act also so that it addresses offences that happen when the flight is on the ground and also make it cognizable offence," he said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.