August 18, 2026 06:37 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit | Shehzad Poonawalla doubles down on BJP exit, urges party to accept resignation | Tarapith tragedy: Seven pilgrims killed as hotel goes up in flames before dawn | Bengal STF nabs suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar

2011 World Cup final inquiry ends, no proof against ex-Sri Lankan cricket icons Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardena

| @indiablooms | Jul 03, 2020, at 06:50 pm

Colombo/UNI:  The investigation into the match-fixing allegations raised against the Sri Lanka cricket team of 2011 World Cup has concluded and players have been cleared, Chief of the SIU SSP Jagath Fonseka said according to a report in newswire.lk.

Sri Lanka Cricketers, including Mahela Jayawardena, Kumara Sangakkara, Aravinda de Silva and Upul Tharanga were inquired and summoned in this regard.

Fonseka said the statements of three cricketers summoned so far are genuine, and has revealed the practical reason for a change in squad during the tournament, adding that this is an incident that had occurred in 2011. He further said that they will send the report on the investigation to the Secretary of the Ministry of Sports.

A decision to end the probe was taken on Friday after a discussion with high ranking officials of the Special Investigation Unit, the report added.

SSP Fonseka pointed out that the summoning of various cricketers to record statements had caused a crisis in the country and can lead to a major issue.

“The three statements recorded thus far shows that there are no evidence to prove the 14- allegations raised by former Parliamentarian Mahindananda Aluthgamage. The International Cricket Council too has not responded with regard to the allegations. It has also not even commenced any investigations’, he told Lankadeepa Newspaper.

The Ministry of Sports launched an investigation into the allegation, after former Minister of Sports Mahindananda Aluthgamage revealed in June that the 2011 Cricket World Cup final between Sri Lanka and India was fixed.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.