August 20, 2026 10:46 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change

Not established Bofors deal was a scandal : President

| | May 26, 2015, at 05:07 pm
New Delhi, May 26 (IBNS) In an interview President Pranab Mukherjee has told a Swedish daily that it is yet to be established that the Bofors gun deal was a scandal.

He made the comment on a subject that once rocked the nation and caused defeat of the Rajiv Gandhi-led Congress Government and still remains a topic of varied opinions.

"First of all - it is yet to be to be established that there was a scandal. No Indian court has established it," Mukherjee has said in an interview given to Swedish daily Dagens Nyhetter at the Rashtrapati Bhawan.

In 1986, when the Congress was in power, Swiss arms manufacturer Bofors signed a Rs. 1,500 crore contract to supply Howitzer guns to India. The Swedish media reported that the company had to pay massive kickbacks to Indian politicians and defence officials.

The case triggered  a fierce opposition campaign  leading to the defeat of the Rajiv Gandhi Government in 1989.

Mukherjee had been  finance minister and defence minister in Congress-led governments.

"I was the defence minister of the country long after Bofors, and all my generals certified that this is one of the best guns we are having. Till today, Indian army is using it. The so-called scandal which you talk of, yes, in the media, it was there. There was a media trial. But I'm afraid, let us not be too much carried by publicity,"  Mukherjee said in the interview.

He said  up to now, no Indian court has given any decisive verdict about the alleged scandal."

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.