August 20, 2026 10:16 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change

NHRC issues notice to Jharkhand govt over suspected Maoists killing

| | Jun 16, 2015, at 11:50 pm
New Delhi, June 16 (IBNS): The NHRC on Tuesday said it has issued a notice to the Jharkhand government over the killing of 12 suspected Maoists in the state last week.

The incident took place at Bakoria village in Palamu district on June 9.

"The National Human Rights Commission has taken suo motu cognizance of media reports that 12 suspect Maoists, including four minors, were killed in a joint operation of Cobra Battalion and district police in Jharkhand," the NHRC said in a statement.

"Those killed also included a teacher who had apparently lived under the threat of Maoists. No injuries were reported to any of the police personnel but eight weapons were reported to have been recovered after the alleged encounter," read the statement.

"Observing that Right to Life is a Constitutionally guaranteed Fundamental Right and no person should be deprived of his life except according to procedure established by law, Mr. Justice D. Murugesan, Member of the Commission has issued notices to the Chief Secretary and Director General of Police, Government of Jharkhand calling for a detailed report on the alleged encounter, narrating the full sequence of events, within four weeks," it said.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.