February 19, 2026 05:22 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Ukrainian National Killed
The moment before the Ukrainian refugee was stabbed on a US bus by a man. Photo: Video grab

US: GoFundMe removes page created to support Decarlos Brown Jr killed Ukrainian refugee

| @indiablooms | Sep 08, 2025, at 05:35 pm

Fundraising site GoFundMe has said it has removed a page that was created for a man who was suspected of murdering a Ukrainian refugee on a train in North Carolina state in the US.

Decarlos Brown Jr., aged 34, was charged with stabbing Ukrainian refugee Iryna Zarutska, who escaped the Ukraine-Russia war for protection.

Newsweek, quoting Washington Examiner report, said one page of fundraising for Brown Jr. had been taken down by GoFundMe.

"GoFundMe's Terms of Service explicitly prohibit fundraisers that raise money for the legal defense of anyone formally charged with an alleged violent crime," a statement read as quoted by Newsweek. "Consistent with this long-standing policy, this fundraiser has been removed from the platform and the donors who contributed to the fundraiser have been fully refunded."

23-year-old Ukrainian national Iryna Zarutska was killed in a knife attack while she was travelling on a Charlotte light rail train last month, according to the New York Post.

Zarutska, who had been working at a local pizzeria, was still dressed in her uniform when she stepped onto the Lynx Blue Line at 9:46 pm on August 22.

Footage released by the Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) shows her quietly scrolling through her phone, unaware of the threat lurking behind her.

Only minutes later, investigators say, 34-year-old Decarlos Brown Jr., a homeless ex-convict, pulled out a folding knife and stabbed her three times, striking her in the neck at least once.

Brown left the train at the next station, where police later recovered a folding knife. He was treated for a hand injury before being booked on a charge of first-degree murder.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.