August 23, 2026 01:30 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
‘Reservation for poor, not caste’: Stir at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar | Dalit woman 'gangrape-murder' shocker in Karnataka: 4 arrested after body found in well | India dismisses Pakistan's 'frustration' over US envoy's J&K remark | Centre denies US visit clearance to Telangana CM Revanth Reddy, says programmes 'not appropriate' | Delhi Police register FIR in pellet gun case after Rahul Gandhi's sit-in | Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence
Trump shared a map showing the Strait of Hormuz as new US territory. Photo: X/White House/Truth Social/ChatGPT

Trump calls Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory' once again as Iran refuses to reopen waterway

| @indiablooms | Aug 23, 2026, at 11:40 am

US President Donald Trump on Sunday once again shared a map depicting the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz as "new US territory", escalating his rhetoric over the key waterway amid the ongoing conflict with Iran.

Trump posted the image on his Truth Social platform, with the Strait of Hormuz — a crucial global route for oil, natural gas and other supplies — circled and labelled as the "new US territory".

The US president had shared the same image earlier on August 18.

Trump had threatened to claim Hormuz

Trump first floated the idea of declaring the Strait of Hormuz part of US territory on August 15 during a rally in New York.

"After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated -- pretty soon I'll be declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States," Trump had said.

"It's true," he added.

Before the war, roughly one-fifth of global oil and LNG exports passed through the strategic waterway.

Iran has asserted control over the strait since the conflict began on February 28 and has required vessels seeking to pass through it to obtain permission and pay transit fees.

Trump, meanwhile, has claimed that the US has "total control" over the waterway.

Iran says Strait will remain closed

Iran on Saturday reiterated that the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the United States fulfils its commitments and changes its conduct.

Mohsen Rezaei, head of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, said on state television that the waterway would not reopen until Washington "corrects its behaviour".

"The Strait of Hormuz is closed, despite American claims, and will not open until America corrects its behaviour," Rezaei said.

"This time, America must first fulfil its obligations," he added.

Iran warns countries against joining US 'economic war'

Rezaei also warned other countries against supporting what he described as Trump's "economic war" against Iran.

He said nations participating in economic restrictions against Tehran would be regarded as enemies and warned that Iran could target their interests if they refused to distance themselves from the United States.

Rezaei further claimed that Iran had not yet targeted US economic interests, saying Tehran had so far focused on military bases.

However, he warned that if Washington imposed further economic sanctions, Iranian forces could target American oil and economic companies in the region and elsewhere.

"If they want to impose economic sanctions on us, the United States has oil and economic companies around Iran and elsewhere, and we will strike them," he said.

Rezaei also warned that any further US action could trigger a much wider confrontation, saying Iran's response would be "like an earthquake".

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.