February 19, 2026 07:10 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Hong Kong Fire
The Hong Kong apartment fire is one of the deadliest recorded in the city in recent years. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Meanwhile, Hong Kong leader John Lee Ka-chiu has ordered an inspection of all public housing estates undergoing major renovations following the deadly fire tragedy in Tai Po estate.

According to reports, the raging flames in all blocks have been brought under control.

At present, 56 people are undergoing treatment in the hospital.

According to a preliminary investigation, officers discovered highly flammable styrofoam cloaking lift windows on every floor, which authorities said caused the fire to spread more rapidly within the blocks and ignite flats through the corridors, reported South China Morning Post.

The mesh netting and sheeting used outside the buildings also did not meet fire safety standards, officials told the newspaper.

The fire — the city’s deadliest in decades — erupted on Wednesday afternoon across an eight-tower residential estate containing around 2,000 flats.

Three arrested

Police announced early on Thursday that three men had been arrested in connection with the disaster.

Investigators believe flammable materials left behind during maintenance work allowed the fire to “spread rapidly beyond control”.

Officers later searched a separate location, seizing binders of documents linked to the suspects, whom they accuse of “gross negligence” for leaving foam packaging at the site.

Firefighter loses life

Among those killed was a 37-year-old firefighter, found with severe burns roughly 30 minutes after losing radio contact, according to Fire Services Director Andy Yeung.

A government spokesperson said 56 people were being treated in hospitals: 16 in critical condition, 24 in serious condition, and 16 in stable condition.

Chief Executive John Lee said that 279 residents were initially listed as missing, though firefighters later managed to reach some of them.

More than 900 people sought shelter at temporary facilities.

Chinese President Xi Jinping expressed condolences to the victims, including the fallen firefighter, state media reported.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.