February 22, 2026 05:33 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
Hong Kong high-rise fire kills 128, with 200 missing as investigators probe rapid multi-building spread.
Hong Kong Fire
Hong Kong high-rise residential complex inferno claims at least 128 lives. Photo: Wikimedia Commons/Cyril Yoshi

Hong Kong/IBNS: The death toll in the catastrophic fire that swept through a Hong Kong apartment complex has climbed to 128, with around 200 people still unaccounted for, officials announced on Friday. 

Fire crews finally subdued the blaze 42 hours after it first erupted.

At least 79 residents were injured as flames tore rapidly through several blocks of a public housing estate in Tai Po, Security Secretary Chris Tang said at a press briefing.

Tang cautioned that the number of fatalities may continue to rise, noting that roughly 200 individuals remain missing — a figure that includes several bodies yet to be identified.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by India Blooms (@indiablooms)

The inferno, Hong Kong’s deadliest in decades, has stunned the densely populated city, known for its strong safety standards and robust building regulations.

Hundreds of displaced residents spent a third consecutive night in temporary shelters, many anxiously waiting for news about missing family members.

Survivors and neighbours have been left questioning how such a large-scale tragedy could unfold.

Reason still unknown

The exact cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Police are examining how the flames leapt from one building to another, transforming what began as a single-tower blaze into multiple simultaneous high-rise fires.

Authorities expect the inquiry to take three to four weeks.

Officials believe the fire began on the lower floors of Wang Cheong House, Block 6 of Wang Fuk Court — a cluster of eight towers housing over 4,000 residents, many of them elderly.

The estate was undergoing renovation, and all eight towers were covered in bamboo scaffolding and green protective mesh.

Hong Kong high-rise fire kills 128, with 200 missing as investigators probe rapid multi-building spread.Wang Fuk Court, one day before the fire, encased in bamboo scaffolding and green netting, November 25, 2025. Photo: Wikimedia Commons/Waydwaid

Police earlier discovered the construction company’s name on flammable polystyrene panels that had been found obstructing some windows.

Tang explained that the fire ignited the mesh sheeting and then spread quickly to the polystyrene boards surrounding the windows, allowing flames to race vertically and jump between buildings.

The intense heat shattered windows, accelerating the spread inside homes.

Hong Kong high-rise fire kills 128, with 200 missing as investigators probe rapid multi-building spread.A "pillar" formed by the flame on the high-rise Hong Kong apartment. Photo: Screengrab from YouTube/CNSVideo

As the scaffolding and mesh burned and collapsed, it ignited additional floors.

Conditions inside were extremely dangerous, with temperatures exceeding 500°C (930°F), Tang added.

He noted that the mesh netting met existing safety requirements.

Firefighting efforts were further hindered as some units reignited even after their flames had been extinguished.

Hong Kong high-rise fire kills 128, with 200 missing as investigators probe rapid multi-building spread.Hundreds of Hong Kong firefighters battled the high-rise apartment blaze for nearly two days. Photo: Wikimedia Commons/Flickr/Samson Ng

Post-fire inspections revealed that fire alarms across all eight buildings were “not functional,” Fire Services Director Andy Yeung said.

It remains unclear whether the system was working on the day of the blaze, though residents earlier reported that no alarm sounded.

“We will be taking law enforcement action regarding this issue,” Yeung said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.