August 18, 2026 11:12 pm (IST)
Egypt: Ban alarmed by recent mass death sentence
New York, Apr 29 (IBNS): United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday voiced alarmed at the news that another preliminary mass death sentence has been handed down in Egypt, where more than 680 people were reportedly on trial, a topic he will raise later this week in a meeting with the Egyptian Minister for Foreign Affairs, Nabil Fahmy.
Monday’s legal decision follows the 24 March conviction of 529 defendants on various charges, including membership of an unlawful organisation (the Muslim Brotherhood), incitement to violence, vandalism, unlawful gathering and the killing of one police officer. All the charges relate to events in August 2013 after the Government of President Mohamed Morsi was ousted.
“Verdicts that clearly appear not to meet basic fair trial standards, particularly those which impose the death penalty, are likely to undermine prospects for long-term stability,” Ban’s spokesperson said in a statement.
The Secretary-General is also conscious of the regional and security implications of such sentences, and stressed that stability in Egypt is essential for the overall stability of the entire North Africa and Middle East region.
Separately, the UN chief is concerned about a court case on Monday banning the activities of the ‘April 6 Youth Movement’ which mobilized support for the ousting of Hosni Mubarak in 2011 and the unseating of Morsi last year.
Ban “was disappointed that the appeals court on 7 April upheld the jailing of three emblematic figures of the 2011 uprising, including two founders of the youth movement,” said his spokesperson.
Stressing respect for the independence of the judiciary, Ban and High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay had expressed concerns before and after the law regulating protests was promulgated. They warned that it could lead to serious breaches of the right to freedom of peaceful assembly.
(Photo: IRIN)
Support Our Journalism
We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism
IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.
Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Latest Headlines
Indian-origin industrialist Lakshmi Mittal’s Ukraine steel plant hit by Russian strike, 2 killed, 13 injured
Mon, Aug 17 2026
One of Kyiv's largest aerial attacks:Russia claims 822 Ukrainian drones downed, apocalyptic blaze videos go viral
Sun, Aug 16 2026
One of Kyiv's largest aerial attacks:Russia claims 822 Ukrainian drones downed, apocalyptic blaze videos go viral
Sun, Aug 16 2026
Russia launches fresh wave of strikes on Ukraine, 3 killed
Sun, Aug 16 2026
Who is Jason Arday? Former Cambridge professor found dead days after resignation amid plagiarism row
Sat, Aug 15 2026
Cambridge University appointed academic who backed 'terrorist' group Hizb ut-Tahrir
Thu, Aug 13 2026
North Korea fires ballistic missile towards East Sea ahead of major South Korea-US exercise
Wed, Aug 12 2026
Bashar al-Assad sentenced to death by Syrian Court for war crimes
Tue, Aug 11 2026
