August 18, 2026 11:19 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
UN Photo/Sylvain Liechti

DR Congo: UN peacekeepers on alert after battling rebel group

| | May 03, 2014, at 04:55 pm
New York, May 3 (IBNS): Mayi-Mayi rebels attacked United Nations peacekeepers in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) where the Mission is on alert monitoring and the situation, it was announced on Friday.
“We can confirm the attack and that Mayi-Mayi Janvier is part of the APCLS [Alliance of Patriots for a Free and Sovereign Congo],” a UN spokesperson confirmed to journalists in New York.
 
In addition, the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO) confirmed that the ACPLS attacked DRC Government positions at the commercial district of Birere in the city of Goma, the capital of North Kivu.
 
“Heavy exchanges of fire were reported,” the spokesperson said, adding that MONUSCO supported the national army (FARDC) to recapture the district.
 
At least six people were killed and several wounded, including two UN peacekeepers.
 
Some 4,000 civilians are seeking safety at MONUSCO base in Nyabiondo.
 
“MONUSCO continues to monitor the situation, including through the use of unarmed aerial surveillance,” journalists were told.
 
In the past year, the Security Council mandated MONUSCO to use an intervention brigade to neutralize armed groups, reduce the threat they posed to State authority and civilian security and make space for stabilization activities.
 
In an unanimous resolution adopted by the 15-members last month, the Council renewed the mandate of both MONUSCO and its Intervention Brigade for another year, taking them to take all necessary measures to protect civilians; monitor implementation of the arms embargo; and provide support to national and international judicial processes in the DRC, among other responsibilities.
 
The Council also demanded that the various Mayi Mayi groups, the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) and the Bakata-Katanga “cease immediately all forms of violence and other destabilizing activities and that their members immediately and permanently disband, lay down their arms and demobilize children from their ranks.”
 
 
[Peacekeepers serving with the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) on patrol. UN Photo/Sylvain Liechti]

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.