July 12, 2020 14:57 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rajasthan crisis: Sachin Pilot, loyalists in Delhi to meet Congress High Command | New Delhi/IBNS: India's single-day spike in coronavirus cases reached a record high with 28,637 fresh infections reported in the last 24 hours, the Ministry of Health informed on Sunday. | Amitabh Bachchan, COVID-19 positive, is stable with mild symptoms, says hospital | Aadhaar, test results must for COVID-19 drug procurement in Maharashtra | Abhishek Bachchan also tests positive for Covid-19 along with father Amitabh Bachchan

Canada’s debated topic no-fly list discussed in Toronto, Ontario

India Blooms News Service | | 28 Nov 2016, 07:45 pm
Toronto, Nov. 28 (IBNS): Canada’s no-fly list was the main topic in the conversation as Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, Health Minister Jane Philpott and Immigration Minister John McCallum listened to citizens’ comments and recommendations in a high school cafeteria Sunday in Markham, near Toronto, reported Global News.

Michael, 16-year-old son had been on a no-fly list since he was just four or five years old, said his mother Natalie Pierre.

“We were coming back from the U.S. and customs agents pulled us aside. They didn’t tell us anything, except for the person who took us into a back room, who asked us what we did wrong,” Pierre said following the event in Markham, Ont.

Among the various topics discussed on different security issues, the no-fly list was the dominant topic.

The issue of no-fly list drew the attention of the public after a six-year-old boy, Adam Ahmed, was flagged as being on the no-fly list last year.

Goodale clarified that some kids who bear the same names as adults were flagged.

Pierre told The Canadian Press that exactly the same thing happened in her son’s case.

Only in about 2011 Pierre came to know her son Michael shared a name with someone on the list, she said.

Since then she said her family had been trying to resolve this issue with different government agencies.

Goodale’s statement in the meeting that it would take about 18 months for the new system to be set up was opposed my many parents who said the period was too long.

The Liberal government had announcement in June asking the Passenger Protect Inquiries Office to help people to speed up the process during check-in.

But families with young children continued to experience delays even after they had explained their cases to the office, Khadija Cajee, a spokeswoman for the group known as the No Fly List Kids, said.

Pierre said she’d be happy to see a solution within 18 months, especially one that would help adults who are wrongly flagged, as well as kids.

But in the meantime, she said her family had found other solutions.

She said her son got a compensation number from the United States which had convinced ticketing agents that he was not a threat

She also added that these ticketing agents also call the airline ahead of time which proves helpful.

“But it’s just such an inefficient system,” she said.

(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)

Related Images
World in Photo : july 11 , 2020 12 Jul 2020, 11:58 am
General Election in Singapore 10 Jul 2020, 02:19 pm
World in Photo : July 8, 2020 10 Jul 2020, 12:27 pm
Related Videos
View this post on Instagram

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again; UNESCO regrets #HagiaSophia, #Turkey, #Istanbul, #HagiaSophiaMosqueAgain Istanbul/IBNS: Hagia Sophia, Turkey's iconic monument, a UNESCO World Heritage and one of the central attractions of its capital Istanbul, is no longer a museum. It has been turned back as a mosque though some 1500 years ago it was built as an Orthodox Christian cathedral. Hagia Sophia was converted into a mosque during the Ottoman time in 1453 while under Ataturk it was turned into a museum in 1935. The decision comes amid a growing rise of the Islamists in Turkey who had been demanding that it be restored as a mosque though Opposition leaders with secular credentials had been against the move. A top court in Turkey ruled that turning it into a museum in 1935 by modern Turkey's secular architect Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was illegal, paving the way for present Turkey president Recep Tayyip Erdogan to declare it as a mosque again and to open it for Muslim prayers. Erdogan made the announcement an hour after the court ruled the conversion to museum in 1935 as illegal and scrapped its status. "May it be beneficial," posted Erdogan on Twitter, sharing an official document on the change with his signature. UNESCO regrets In an immediate reaction, UNESCO said it "deeply regrets" the decision. UNESCO said it was "regrettable that the Turkish decision was not the subject of dialog nor notification beforehand". "UNESCO calls on the Turkish authorities to open a dialog without delay in order to avoid a step back from the universal value of this exceptional heritage whose preservation will be reviewed by the World Heritage Committee in its next session," the United Nation's cultural body said in a statement. Istanbul icon of beauty and wonderment According to Turkey's official tourism website, Hagia Sophia is a remarkable achievement in the history of architecture. and a living proof of mankind's revolt against the laws of physics and it calls it a monument whose importance transcends borders. It is one of UNESCO's World Cultural Heritage sites attracting millions of visitors across the world with its majestic grandeur

A post shared by India Blooms News Service (@indiablooms) on

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again 11 Jul 2020, 01:37 pm