August 04, 2020 23:06 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Pakistan's new political map including entire J&K is political absurdity: India | Theatre personality Ebrahim Alkazi passes away at 94 | Dharmendra Pradhan tests positive for Covid-19, hospitalised | Bihar govt can't recommend Sushant's death probe to CBI: Rhea Chakraborty's lawyer | Kashmiri youth develops app alternative to China's ShareIt
US notifies UN chief of withdrawal from WHO effective July 6, 2021: Spokesman
Donald Trump Facebook page

US notifies UN chief of withdrawal from WHO effective July 6, 2021: Spokesman

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 08 Jul 2020, 04:31 am

United Nations/Sputnik: Washington has officially notified UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres about its withdrawal from the World Health Organization (WHO) effective July 6, 2021, UN Spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said in a statement on Tuesday.

Congress was also notified earlier in the day of the US withdrawal from the agency, Senator Bob Menendez said in a statement.

”On 6 July 2020, the United States of America notified the Secretary-General, in his capacity as depositary of the 1946 Constitution of the World Health Organization, of its withdrawal from the World Health Organization, effective on 6 July, 2021,” Dujarric said.

Guterres is verifying with the WHO whether the United States had met all conditions to be eligible to withdraw from the international agency, Dujarric said.

“The said conditions include giving a one-year notice and fully meeting the payment of assessed financial obligations,” the spokesman noted.

The United States, which has been a party to the WHO since 1948, under the leadership of President Donald Trump, in April, announced a temporary freeze of funding for the WHO. Trump warned that the freeze would become permanent unless the organization committed to major changes within 30 days.

The US president has accused the WHO of colluding with China to cover up the origins and handling of the coronavirus outbreak.

The WHO said it declared the coronavirus outbreak a global health emergency in January, which gave countries enough time to prepare. Chinese officials have repeatedly said they shared information on the outbreak in a timely manner.