July 10, 2020 05:05 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Amid COVID-19 cases spike, UP govt announces lockdown from Friday night till Monday morning | West Bengal's COVID-19 tally nears 26000-mark with highest single-day spike of 1088 cases | Cabinet passes extending PM Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana till November | West Bengal COVID-19 Lockdown: German Consulate says it will restrict office presence to the lowest | 'Communist China terrorist': Tibetan cycle rally against Beijing cheers for India
15 killed in suicide bomb attack at polio vaccination centre in Pakistan's Quetta

15 killed in suicide bomb attack at polio vaccination centre in Pakistan's Quetta

India Blooms News Service | | 13 Jan 2016, 01:35 pm
Quetta, Pakistan, Jan 13 (IBNS) A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a polio vaccination centre in the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta on Wednesday, killing at least 15 people, mainly police, The Guardian reported.

The policemen had been gathering outside the centre to accompany polio workers for the third day of a vaccination campaign.

Quetta is the provincial capital of Balochistan.

“There are 15 dead, including 12 police, one paramilitary, and two civilians,” a local police official was quoted saying.

Sarfaraz Bugti, Balochistan’s home minister,  said so far  15 people have been injured in the blast, seven of whom are in critical condition.

The victims have been shifted to Civil Hospital Quetta, where an emergency has been imposed, the Dawn reported.

The latest attack comes as a suicide bombing struck near the Pakistani consulate in Afghanistan’s Jalalabad city, killing two people just days after four-country talks aimed at reviving Taliban peace negotiations commenced in Islamabad.

While there was no immediate claim of responsibility for Wednesday’s attack, Islamist groups including the Taliban say the polio vaccination drive is a front for espionage or a conspiracy to sterilise Muslims.

Police and rescue workers reached the site soon after the blast, while security forces have cordoned off the area.