Afghanistan: Four explosions rock Nangarhar, three killed
Kabul, May 14 (IBNS): Four back-to-back explosions hit Afghanistan's Jalalabad city on Monday and left at least three people killed, media reports said.
The provincial governor's spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told Tolo News the explosions happened in Talashi Square in Jalalabad's PD1.
He said 20 people were injured in the explosions.
He said the blasts were triggered by IEDs planted in the area.
No group has claimed responsibility for the incident so far.
The blasts occurred at a time when the nation is observing Ramadan.
Meanwhile, the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) expressed grave concern about the impact on civilians from the increase in violence around the country during the first week of the holy month of Ramadan.
UNAMA condemned Taliban for incidents in which civilians have been deliberately targeted, such as the 8 May attack in Kabul against a non-governmental organization, Counterpart International. Six civilians were killed and a further 28 injured.
“There can be absolutely no justification for deliberate or indiscriminate attacks against civilians,” said Tadamichi Yamamoto, the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Afghanistan.
“The main victims of the attack were Afghans,” said Yamamoto, who is also the head of UNAMA. “It is particularly egregious that a premeditated act of extreme violence was conducted against a development agency where civilians were striving to improve the lives of all citizens.”