July 14, 2020 23:15 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rajasthan crisis: Bharatiya Tribal Party MLAs allege harassment by police | PM Modi to address nation on occasion of World Youth Skills Day | BJP tried horse-trading in Rajasthan: Ashok Gehlot after Congress sacks Sachin Pilot | Congress sacks Sachin Pilot as Rajasthan Deputy CM and state party chief | Will vacate government bungalow by Aug 1, says Priyanka Gandhi Vadra slamming fake news
Lanka not yet free of global terrorism, warns PM Ranil Wickremesinghe

Lanka not yet free of global terrorism, warns PM Ranil Wickremesinghe

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 08 May 2019, 11:48 am

Colombo, May 8 (UNI) Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has said that despite restored normalcy due to the swift government action after the church attacks, the threats of global terrorism were not over in the country.

Making a special statement in Parliament on Tuesday, the Prime Minister said the government was taking every possible step to capture the people linked to the attacks, restore the normal life of the people and provide support for industries affected by the attacks while security authorities have been able to improve the security situation at present.


"Yesterday, schools were opened. The Security Forces and the Police have consolidated security in schools. I received a report from the Minister of Education in this regard. We hope that the attendance of schoolchildren will gradually improve even though it was low yesterday. Likewise, last Sunday, many Christian churches held service. Last Friday, prayers were also made in the Muslim churches. Our security forces have been able to ensure that all this work is done without any hindrance," quoted a report of the ColomboPage.


Explaining the background of the terror attacks last month, the Premier said since 2014, intelligence information have been received about some people who had gone to Syria and joined ISIS.


Outlining the intelligence reports on some Sri Lankans joining Islamic State since 2014 in Syria, the Prime Minister held many others have migrated to Iraq and Syria with Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi declaring an Islamic State on 29 June 2014.


After ISIS leader Abu Bakr al Baghdadi on June 29, 2014 declared a Muslim State, Muslims around the world had migrated to Syria and Iraq expecting to live in an Islamic State. In 2014, several people from Sri Lanka have also traveled to Syria through Turkey to join ISIS.


"Mohamad Musin, Ishaq Ahmad, Mohomad Unasin, Mohomad Ameen, Mohomad Suwair, and Mohomad Aroos were reported to have joined the IS in Syria by going through Turkey. Some have returned to Sri Lanka after weapons training. Mohomad Ibrahim Sadiq Abdul Haq, now in custody, received weapons training in Syria in 2014. The Dehiwala suicide bomber, Abdul Lathief Mohomad Jameel, had gone to Turkey in 2014 with hopes to join IS and returned to Sri Lanka. The parents of the first Sri Lankan who was killed after joining IS was Mohomad Musin Safras Nilam. His elderly parents have travelled with him to Syria on 15 January 2015 via Turkey. These parents who were in Syria returned to Sri Lanka on 29 January 2016. They are closely monitored by the intelligence community," the Prime Minister said.


Outlining the improvements in the security situation in the country, the Premier said all those who are connected to the attacks have been brought before the law and investigations are being conducted on the people closely associated with them.  

Related Videos
View this post on Instagram

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again; UNESCO regrets #HagiaSophia, #Turkey, #Istanbul, #HagiaSophiaMosqueAgain Istanbul/IBNS: Hagia Sophia, Turkey's iconic monument, a UNESCO World Heritage and one of the central attractions of its capital Istanbul, is no longer a museum. It has been turned back as a mosque though some 1500 years ago it was built as an Orthodox Christian cathedral. Hagia Sophia was converted into a mosque during the Ottoman time in 1453 while under Ataturk it was turned into a museum in 1935. The decision comes amid a growing rise of the Islamists in Turkey who had been demanding that it be restored as a mosque though Opposition leaders with secular credentials had been against the move. A top court in Turkey ruled that turning it into a museum in 1935 by modern Turkey's secular architect Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was illegal, paving the way for present Turkey president Recep Tayyip Erdogan to declare it as a mosque again and to open it for Muslim prayers. Erdogan made the announcement an hour after the court ruled the conversion to museum in 1935 as illegal and scrapped its status. "May it be beneficial," posted Erdogan on Twitter, sharing an official document on the change with his signature. UNESCO regrets In an immediate reaction, UNESCO said it "deeply regrets" the decision. UNESCO said it was "regrettable that the Turkish decision was not the subject of dialog nor notification beforehand". "UNESCO calls on the Turkish authorities to open a dialog without delay in order to avoid a step back from the universal value of this exceptional heritage whose preservation will be reviewed by the World Heritage Committee in its next session," the United Nation's cultural body said in a statement. Istanbul icon of beauty and wonderment According to Turkey's official tourism website, Hagia Sophia is a remarkable achievement in the history of architecture. and a living proof of mankind's revolt against the laws of physics and it calls it a monument whose importance transcends borders. It is one of UNESCO's World Cultural Heritage sites attracting millions of visitors across the world with its majestic grandeur

A post shared by India Blooms News Service (@indiablooms) on

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again 11 Jul 2020, 01:37 pm