July 15, 2020 15:03 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
India’s global strategy is in tatters: Rahul attacks Modi govt after Iran drops India from Chabahar project | India-EU Summit will strengthen economic and cultural linkages: PM Narendra Modi | Assam COVID-19 tally surges to 18,666, death toll mounts to 46 | I am not joining BJP: Sachin Pilot | Donald Trump rescinds foreign students order, drops new visa rules objected by top universities
Senior TTP leader killed in drone strike: Reports

Senior TTP leader killed in drone strike: Reports

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 15 Jun 2018, 07:36 am

Kabul, Jun 15 (IBNS): Senior Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) leader Mullah Fazlullah has been gunned down during a drone strike in Afghanstan, local Tolo News reorted.

Quoting sources, the local news outlet said that the incident took place on Wednesday in Kunar province.

"Wednesday’s drone strike reportedly took place in Marawayra district along the Durand Line between Afghanistan and Pakistan," Tolo News reported.

It stated that four other TTP commanders were also among the deceased.

They have been identified by the outlet as Abu Bakr, Sajjad, Emran and Mawlawi Omar.

Claiming the strike, US Forces-Afghanistan spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Martin O’Donnell told Tolo News, "US forces conducted a counterterrorism strike, June 13, in Kunar province, close to the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan, which targeted a senior leader of a designated terrorist organization."

Meanwhile, the Afghanistan government has entered into a ceasefire agreement with the Taliban.

Speaking about the pact, O'Donnell said that while his men adhered to it, they targeted other terrorists groups.

"US Forces-Afghanistan and NATO-led Resolute Support forces continue to adhere to the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan's unilateral cease-fire with the Afghan Taliban, announced by H.E. Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, which began on the twenty-seventh day of Ramadan.

“As previously stated, the cease-fire does not include US counterterrorism efforts against IS-K (Daesh), Al-Qaeda, and other regional and international terrorist groups, or the inherent right of US and international forces to defend ourselves if attacked. We hope this pause leads to dialogue and progress on reconciliation and a lasting end to hostilities," he said.

Fazlullah, who carried a USD 5 million bounty on his head, reportedly ordered the attempted assassination of Noble Prize winner Malala Yousafzai.

Related Images
World in Photos : July 14 , 2020 15 Jul 2020, 02:50 pm
World in Photo : July 14 , 2020 15 Jul 2020, 02:06 pm
Related Videos
View this post on Instagram

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again; UNESCO regrets #HagiaSophia, #Turkey, #Istanbul, #HagiaSophiaMosqueAgain Istanbul/IBNS: Hagia Sophia, Turkey's iconic monument, a UNESCO World Heritage and one of the central attractions of its capital Istanbul, is no longer a museum. It has been turned back as a mosque though some 1500 years ago it was built as an Orthodox Christian cathedral. Hagia Sophia was converted into a mosque during the Ottoman time in 1453 while under Ataturk it was turned into a museum in 1935. The decision comes amid a growing rise of the Islamists in Turkey who had been demanding that it be restored as a mosque though Opposition leaders with secular credentials had been against the move. A top court in Turkey ruled that turning it into a museum in 1935 by modern Turkey's secular architect Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was illegal, paving the way for present Turkey president Recep Tayyip Erdogan to declare it as a mosque again and to open it for Muslim prayers. Erdogan made the announcement an hour after the court ruled the conversion to museum in 1935 as illegal and scrapped its status. "May it be beneficial," posted Erdogan on Twitter, sharing an official document on the change with his signature. UNESCO regrets In an immediate reaction, UNESCO said it "deeply regrets" the decision. UNESCO said it was "regrettable that the Turkish decision was not the subject of dialog nor notification beforehand". "UNESCO calls on the Turkish authorities to open a dialog without delay in order to avoid a step back from the universal value of this exceptional heritage whose preservation will be reviewed by the World Heritage Committee in its next session," the United Nation's cultural body said in a statement. Istanbul icon of beauty and wonderment According to Turkey's official tourism website, Hagia Sophia is a remarkable achievement in the history of architecture. and a living proof of mankind's revolt against the laws of physics and it calls it a monument whose importance transcends borders. It is one of UNESCO's World Cultural Heritage sites attracting millions of visitors across the world with its majestic grandeur

A post shared by India Blooms News Service (@indiablooms) on

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again 11 Jul 2020, 01:37 pm