Airstrikes in Afghanistan kill seven IS militants
Kabul, Mar 16 (IBNS): At least seven Islamic State militants have been killed during airstrikes conducted by Afghan air force in Afghanistan's Achin district, media reports said on Friday.
Hazrat Hussain Mashraqiwal, provincial police spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News that Afghan air forces targeted a Daesh hideout in Pekhi Baghdara area of Achin district on Thursday night.
Hazrat Hussain Mashraqiwal confirmed that Afghanistan forces or civilians remained unharmed in the incident.
IS has not commented on the issue so far.
Recently, at least six ISIS militants were killed by Afghan security forces in Afghanistan's Jawzjan province, media reports said.
According to the local officials, the militants were killed during a clash that took place on Friday in Darzab district, Khaama Press reported.
Provincial governor’s spokesman Mohammad Reza Ghafori also confirmed the report to the news agency and said six members of the ISIS terrorist group were killed during the clash.
According to reports, members of the security forces remained unhurt in the incident.
Ghafori was quoted as saying by Khaama Press that two foreign nationals hailing from Uzbekistan were among those killed during the clash.
However, the ISIS has not commented on the issue so far.
In some parts of Jawzjan, anti-government armed militant groups are operating actively.
Afghanistan has witnessed rise in terrorist attack incidents in recent times.
More than 10,000 civilians have lost their lives or suffered injuries during 2017, according to the latest report by the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) documenting the impact of the armed conflict on civilians in Afghanistan.
“The human cost of this ugly war in Afghanistan – loss of life, destruction and immense suffering – is far too high” said the Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Afghanistan, Tadamichi Yamamoto, during the launch of the latest annual report in Kabul.
The report detailed that in 2017, UNAMA and the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) documented 10,453 civilian casualties – 3,438 killed and 7,015 injured.
The findings show that the majority of civilian casualties resulted from suicide attacks, improvised explosive device, ground engagements, targeted killings, explosive remnants of war and air strikes.