IS claims Save the Children attack in Afghanistan
Kabul, Jan 24 (IBNS): The so called Islamic State has claimed the Save the Children attack which accounted for the death of at least two people in Afghanistan on Wednesday, reports said.
The incident occurred at around 9:10 am in Jalalabad city, the capital of Nangarhar province.
According to governor spokesperson Attaullah Khogyani, a suicide bomber detonated the explosives near the NGO compound gate.
So far, 12 people have sustained injuries.
According to BBC, a joint team of police and commandos have launched an offensive against the attackers.
Unconfirmed reports have suggested that two attackers have been gunned down by security forces.
Meanwhile, condemning the attack, Save the Children said that its primary concern is the safety of its staffs.
"Our primary concern is for the safety and security of our staff," the NGO said in a statement.
Save the Children has been operational in Afghanistan since 1976.
Currently it holds programmes in 16 Afghan provinces.
The NGO provides healthcare, education and other necessary things to Afghan children.
Image: Sourced from Twitter