July 16, 2020 21:53 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rhea Chakraborty requests Amit Shah to begin CBI probe into Sushant Singh Rajput's death | Bengal: Guv Jagdeep Dhankhar dashes off letter to Mamata over meeting with VCs | BSP chief Mayawati attacks BJP on Guna incident | India, China remain committed to objective of complete disengagement at LAC, says Indian Army | File fresh petition tomorrow: Rajasthan HC to Sachin Pilot after Congress' political crisis enters courtroom
UN welcomes 'historic' guilty verdict against Radovan Karadžić

UN welcomes 'historic' guilty verdict against Radovan Karadžić

India Blooms News Service | | 25 Mar 2016, 08:05 am
New York, Mar 25 (Just Earth News/IBNS):Calling on Thursday “historic” for the people of former Yugoslavia and for international criminal justice, United nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Thursday expressed support for the victims who suffered under former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadžić, following his guilty verdict by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY).


“Fugitives cannot outrun the international community's collective resolve to make sure that they face justice according to the law,”  Ban said through his spokesperson.

In a separate statement, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, welcomed the verdict calling it “hugely significant.”

“His judgment is symbolically powerful – above all for the victims of the crimes committed during the wars in Bosnia-Herzegovina and across the former Yugoslavia, but also for victims across the world,” said Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein in a statement from his Office (OHCHR).

Zeid added that while the verdict might be appealed, it shows “no matter how powerful they are, no matter how untouchable they imagine themselves to be, no matter what continent they inhabit, the perpetrators of such crimes must know that they will not escape justice.”

Karadžić, who had been the President of the self-styled Bosnian Serb Republic, was convicted of genocide in the area of Srebrenica in 1995, of persecution, extermination, murder, deportation, inhumane acts (forcible transfer), terror, unlawful attacks on civilians and hostage-taking.

 

The ICTY acquitted him of the charge of genocide in other municipalities in Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1992.

Zeid has a personal connection to the trial, having served in the UN Protection Force in the Former Yugoslavia between1994 and 1996.

In his statement,  Zeid said the verdict stripped away the pretence that  Karadžićs actions were anything more than political manipulation, and exposes him as “the architect of destruction and murder on a massive scale.”

“It is time now to ensure that his poisonous legacy does not continue to burden the people of the former Yugoslavia with deeply-felt grievances, secrecy and lies,” he stressed.

He added that the trial should give pause to leader in Europe and elsewhere who seek to exploit nationalist sentiments and scapegoat minorities for broader social ills.

“Speech that incites hatred, discrimination and violence is an inflammable force,” he said. “In the countries of the former Yugoslavia, we saw the terrible bloodshed that can result.”

Following the announcement of the verdict, ICTY Prosecutor Serge Brammertz said: For two decades now, the victims have put their trust in us to deliver [justice]. Thousands came here to tell their stories and courageously confront their tormentors. on Thursday, with this conviction, that trust has been honoured. Justice has been done.”

He went on to stress that the truth established by this judgment will stand against continuing attempts at denying the suffering of thousands and the crimes committed in the former Yugoslavia.

“Moments like this should also remind us that in innumerable conflicts around the world on Thursday, millions of victims are now waiting for their own justice. This judgment shows that it is possible to deliver it,” he said. Also on Thursday, Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Sexual Violence in Conflict, Under-Secretary General Zainab Hawa Bangura, spoke in favour of the conviction. Having met with Bosnian women during a visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Under-Secretary-General noted their concerns as the perpetrators still walk amongst them.

“We must support these survivors in ensuring that all perpetrators are held to account,” she said, stressing the importance of international courts in helping to convert longstanding cultures of impunity for sexual violence into cultures of deterrence.

The Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide, Adama Dieng, also stressed that on Thursday’s verdict is not only about justice for the past but is also about the future.

“Accountability constitutes a critical component of prevention and also an important step along the path to national post-crisis reconciliation,”  Dieng said. He added that “this verdict will assist the entire region to think about what happened, learn the lessons of the past and chart a future that fully acknowledges the past.”

 

Photo: ICTY

Related Images
World in Photos : July 15, 2020 16 Jul 2020, 01:57 pm
World in Photo : July 15, 2020 16 Jul 2020, 01:01 pm
World in Photo : July 14 , 2020 15 Jul 2020, 03:24 pm
Related Videos
View this post on Instagram

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again; UNESCO regrets #HagiaSophia, #Turkey, #Istanbul, #HagiaSophiaMosqueAgain Istanbul/IBNS: Hagia Sophia, Turkey's iconic monument, a UNESCO World Heritage and one of the central attractions of its capital Istanbul, is no longer a museum. It has been turned back as a mosque though some 1500 years ago it was built as an Orthodox Christian cathedral. Hagia Sophia was converted into a mosque during the Ottoman time in 1453 while under Ataturk it was turned into a museum in 1935. The decision comes amid a growing rise of the Islamists in Turkey who had been demanding that it be restored as a mosque though Opposition leaders with secular credentials had been against the move. A top court in Turkey ruled that turning it into a museum in 1935 by modern Turkey's secular architect Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was illegal, paving the way for present Turkey president Recep Tayyip Erdogan to declare it as a mosque again and to open it for Muslim prayers. Erdogan made the announcement an hour after the court ruled the conversion to museum in 1935 as illegal and scrapped its status. "May it be beneficial," posted Erdogan on Twitter, sharing an official document on the change with his signature. UNESCO regrets In an immediate reaction, UNESCO said it "deeply regrets" the decision. UNESCO said it was "regrettable that the Turkish decision was not the subject of dialog nor notification beforehand". "UNESCO calls on the Turkish authorities to open a dialog without delay in order to avoid a step back from the universal value of this exceptional heritage whose preservation will be reviewed by the World Heritage Committee in its next session," the United Nation's cultural body said in a statement. Istanbul icon of beauty and wonderment According to Turkey's official tourism website, Hagia Sophia is a remarkable achievement in the history of architecture. and a living proof of mankind's revolt against the laws of physics and it calls it a monument whose importance transcends borders. It is one of UNESCO's World Cultural Heritage sites attracting millions of visitors across the world with its majestic grandeur

A post shared by India Blooms News Service (@indiablooms) on

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again 11 Jul 2020, 01:37 pm