Hong Kong police bans major protest on security law, organizers say
Hong Kong: Organizers have said Hong Kong police on Saturday banned a major demonstration against China's planned national security law for the city on the ground of following social distancing and previous unrest measures.
The Civil Human Rights Front (CHRF) said the force had rejected its applications for rallies on July 1, the 23rd anniversary of the former British colony's handover to China, Hong Kong Free Press reported as quoted by ANI.
The official Letter of Objection, shared by the Civil Human Rights Front (CHRF), cited a cap on group gatherings to no more than 50 people as well as previous cases of unrest during protests last year. Another letter sent by police on Friday to District Councilor Andy Chui Chi-kin also denied permission for a protest on July 1, reports ANI.
The group said they would appeal the decision.