ISIS claims responsibility for London attack
London/IBNS: Islamic State terrorist group on Monday claimed responsibility for the stabbing incident in London which left two people hurt.
The attacker was shot dead by the police.
He was identified as Sudesh Amman.
SITE Intelligence Group Director Rita Katz tweeted: "As I wrote yesterday, it was expected that #ISIS will claim #Streathamattack as Sudesh Amman was already jailed for his support for ISIS. The Amaq claim is typical of other ISIS-inspired attacks, indicating the attack was not ISIS-coordinated."
As I wrote yesterday, it was expected that #ISIS will claim #Streathamattack as Sudesh Amman was already jailed for his support for ISIS.— Rita Katz (@Rita_Katz) February 3, 2020
The Amaq claim is typical of other ISIS-inspired attacks, indicating the attack was not ISIS-coordinated.https://t.co/CHiDadpZNN
Meanwhile, police are continuing their investigation into the attack.
"The investigation into the terrorist attack on Streatham High Road yesterday, Sunday, 2 February, continues at pace and we are today able to provide more detail on the circumstances," police said in a statement.
Sudesh Amman and his crime past:
The attacker had been recently released from prison where he had been serving a sentence for terrorism offences.
The circumstances of that investigation are as follows:
At around 00:10hrs on 18 May 2018, Met Counter Terrorism Command detectives, assisted by the Met Police Specialist Firearms Command, arrested him – then aged 18 – on suspicion of preparation of terrorist acts. He was arrested on a street in north London, within 24 hours of police launching an investigation into his activities, the police said in a statement.
Further quick-time investigation was carried out and digital forensic specialists analysed his mobile phone, laptop and other digital devices, recovering a plethora of terrorist material.
The police consulted the Crown Prosecution Service, and he was subsequently charged on 24 May 2018 with nine offences of dissemination of terrorist material and seven offences of collection of information of a kind likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism, in relation to the material found on his digital devices.
On 7 November 2018 he pleaded guilty to 13 of these counts and the judge ordered that the remaining three counts lie on file.
On 17 December 2018 he was sentenced to three years and four months’ imprisonment.
On 23 January 2020, he was released from prison.