July 16, 2020 23:04 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rhea Chakraborty requests Amit Shah to begin CBI probe into Sushant Singh Rajput's death | Bengal: Guv Jagdeep Dhankhar dashes off letter to Mamata over meeting with VCs | BSP chief Mayawati attacks BJP on Guna incident | India, China remain committed to objective of complete disengagement at LAC, says Indian Army | File fresh petition tomorrow: Rajasthan HC to Sachin Pilot after Congress' political crisis enters courtroom
London Bridge stabbing: Attacker had terror conviction, says police
Metropolitan Police Twitter page

London Bridge stabbing: Attacker had terror conviction, says police

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 30 Nov 2019, 01:31 am

London/IBNS: The police on Friday said the man who carried out the London Bridge stabbing attack, which left two people killed, was a former prisoner convicted of a terrorism offense.

He was identified as 28-year-old Usman Khan.

Police said he was shot dead.

Neil Basu, the assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, said: "A male suspect was shot by specialist armed officers and I can confirm that he died at the scene."

"We are now in a position to confirm the identity of the suspect as 28-year-old Usman Khan (10.03.1991), who had been residing in the Staffordshire area. As a result, officers are, tonight, carrying out searches at an address in Staffordshire," Basu said.

"This individual was known to authorities, having been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences. He was released from prison in December 2018 on licence and clearly, a key line of enquiry now is to establish how he came to carry out this attack," he said.

The police have already described the episode as a 'terrorist incident'.

Basu confirmed the deaths of two people in the attack.

"Tragically, two people – a man and a woman – were killed during the attack," he said.

Three others – a man and two women – were also injured and remain in hospital.

The incident took place on Friday afternoon just hours before city workers end their work and head to the station for their train home.

London Bridge is one of the capital city's main transport hubs with thousands of commuters travelling through it daily.

Reacting to the incident, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted that he wants to thank all emergency services for their quick response.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said: "I am in close contact with the Met Commissioner. Please follow @MetPoliceUK for further updates and follow the directions of any officers on the ground if you are near the incident." 

During a press conference, he appreciated people of London and said: "What is remarkable about the images we have seen is the breathtaking heroism of members of the public who literally ran towards danger not knowing what confronted them ... They really are the best of us. Another example of the bravery of ordinary Londoners running towards danger, risking their own personal safety to try and save others. And I want to say thank you to them on behalf of all Londoners."

Khan's remarks followed a spontaneous campaign started in social media with people posting screenshots of the video that captured passers-by neutralizing the attacker and thanking them.

Related Images
World in Photos : July 15, 2020 16 Jul 2020, 01:57 pm
World in Photo : July 15, 2020 16 Jul 2020, 01:01 pm
World in Photo : July 14 , 2020 15 Jul 2020, 03:24 pm
Related Videos
View this post on Instagram

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again; UNESCO regrets #HagiaSophia, #Turkey, #Istanbul, #HagiaSophiaMosqueAgain Istanbul/IBNS: Hagia Sophia, Turkey's iconic monument, a UNESCO World Heritage and one of the central attractions of its capital Istanbul, is no longer a museum. It has been turned back as a mosque though some 1500 years ago it was built as an Orthodox Christian cathedral. Hagia Sophia was converted into a mosque during the Ottoman time in 1453 while under Ataturk it was turned into a museum in 1935. The decision comes amid a growing rise of the Islamists in Turkey who had been demanding that it be restored as a mosque though Opposition leaders with secular credentials had been against the move. A top court in Turkey ruled that turning it into a museum in 1935 by modern Turkey's secular architect Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was illegal, paving the way for present Turkey president Recep Tayyip Erdogan to declare it as a mosque again and to open it for Muslim prayers. Erdogan made the announcement an hour after the court ruled the conversion to museum in 1935 as illegal and scrapped its status. "May it be beneficial," posted Erdogan on Twitter, sharing an official document on the change with his signature. UNESCO regrets In an immediate reaction, UNESCO said it "deeply regrets" the decision. UNESCO said it was "regrettable that the Turkish decision was not the subject of dialog nor notification beforehand". "UNESCO calls on the Turkish authorities to open a dialog without delay in order to avoid a step back from the universal value of this exceptional heritage whose preservation will be reviewed by the World Heritage Committee in its next session," the United Nation's cultural body said in a statement. Istanbul icon of beauty and wonderment According to Turkey's official tourism website, Hagia Sophia is a remarkable achievement in the history of architecture. and a living proof of mankind's revolt against the laws of physics and it calls it a monument whose importance transcends borders. It is one of UNESCO's World Cultural Heritage sites attracting millions of visitors across the world with its majestic grandeur

A post shared by India Blooms News Service (@indiablooms) on

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again 11 Jul 2020, 01:37 pm