July 16, 2020 18:55 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rhea Chakraborty requests Amit Shah to begin CBI probe into Sushant Singh Rajput's death | Bengal: Guv Jagdeep Dhankhar dashes off letter to Mamata over meeting with VCs | BSP chief Mayawati attacks BJP on Guna incident | India, China remain committed to objective of complete disengagement at LAC, says Indian Army | File fresh petition tomorrow: Rajasthan HC to Sachin Pilot after Congress' political crisis enters courtroom
Truck carrying WFP food hit in Yemen's Hodeidah Governatorate

Truck carrying WFP food hit in Yemen's Hodeidah Governatorate

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 31 Aug 2018, 10:14 am

New York, Aug 31 (IBNS): The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is gravely concerned about an incident on 29 August involving a truck under contract to WFP that came under shelling while delivering life-saving food assistance in the war-torn district of Al Tuhayta in Yemen’s southern Hodeidah governorate.

The truck, clearly marked with a WFP banner, was en route to Al Tuhayta, carrying around 30 tons of food assistance, enough to cover the needs of nearly 2,000 people for one month. It was hit by an unidentified armed group just 2 km from its final destination

The truck driver suffered serious injuries and was taken to Al Khawkha Hospital, but his condition is reported to have stabilized. The full quantity of food the truck was carrying remains intact and has been loaded onto another truck and delivered to its intended destination.

WFP appeals to all parties to protect civilians, respect humanitarian principles and allow for the safe delivery of food to Yemeni families in need, no matter where they are, and particularly in active conflict zones.

Fierce clashes in the districts of Al Tuhayata and Al Duraihimi have prevented food assistance from reaching people trapped in the area since June who WFP believes are in critical need. In recent days, however, WFP, has succeeded in dispatching food for 33,000 people, or about half of Al Tuhayta’s population.

Yemen is the world’s largest hunger crisis with two-thirds of the population, or 18 million people, not knowing where their next meal is coming from. Of them, some 8.4 million are precariously close to famine. Currently WFP is in the process of scaling up its assistance to reach 8 million people a month. 

Related Images
World in Photos : July 15, 2020 16 Jul 2020, 01:57 pm
World in Photo : July 15, 2020 16 Jul 2020, 01:01 pm
World in Photo : July 14 , 2020 15 Jul 2020, 03:24 pm
Related Videos
View this post on Instagram

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again; UNESCO regrets #HagiaSophia, #Turkey, #Istanbul, #HagiaSophiaMosqueAgain Istanbul/IBNS: Hagia Sophia, Turkey's iconic monument, a UNESCO World Heritage and one of the central attractions of its capital Istanbul, is no longer a museum. It has been turned back as a mosque though some 1500 years ago it was built as an Orthodox Christian cathedral. Hagia Sophia was converted into a mosque during the Ottoman time in 1453 while under Ataturk it was turned into a museum in 1935. The decision comes amid a growing rise of the Islamists in Turkey who had been demanding that it be restored as a mosque though Opposition leaders with secular credentials had been against the move. A top court in Turkey ruled that turning it into a museum in 1935 by modern Turkey's secular architect Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was illegal, paving the way for present Turkey president Recep Tayyip Erdogan to declare it as a mosque again and to open it for Muslim prayers. Erdogan made the announcement an hour after the court ruled the conversion to museum in 1935 as illegal and scrapped its status. "May it be beneficial," posted Erdogan on Twitter, sharing an official document on the change with his signature. UNESCO regrets In an immediate reaction, UNESCO said it "deeply regrets" the decision. UNESCO said it was "regrettable that the Turkish decision was not the subject of dialog nor notification beforehand". "UNESCO calls on the Turkish authorities to open a dialog without delay in order to avoid a step back from the universal value of this exceptional heritage whose preservation will be reviewed by the World Heritage Committee in its next session," the United Nation's cultural body said in a statement. Istanbul icon of beauty and wonderment According to Turkey's official tourism website, Hagia Sophia is a remarkable achievement in the history of architecture. and a living proof of mankind's revolt against the laws of physics and it calls it a monument whose importance transcends borders. It is one of UNESCO's World Cultural Heritage sites attracting millions of visitors across the world with its majestic grandeur

A post shared by India Blooms News Service (@indiablooms) on

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again 11 Jul 2020, 01:37 pm