July 12, 2020 01:21 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Abhishek Bachchan also tests positive for Covid-19 along with father Amitabh Bachchan | Amitabh Bachchan tests positive for Covid-19, hospitalised | Congress appoints Hardik Patel as working president of Gujarat unit | Kerala gold-smuggling case: NIA detains key accused Swapna Suresh, Sandeep Nair | Covid-19: West Bengal reports biggest single-day spike with new 1,344 cases, toll crosses 900
Egypt attack: President Sisi vows to respond forcefully

Egypt attack: President Sisi vows to respond forcefully

India Blooms News Service | | @indiablooms | 25 Nov 2017, 12:30 pm

Cairo, Nov 25 (IBNS): Reacting to the deadly terrorist attack in Egypt, which killed 235 people, President Abdul Fatah al-Sisi has said the country will respond forcefully, media reports said.

Sisi was quoted by BBC as saying: "What is happening is an attempt to stop us from our efforts in the fight against terrorism."

"The armed forces and the police will avenge our martyrs and restore security and stability with the utmost force.," the President added.

At least 235 people were killed as militants launched gun and bomb attack on a mosque in Egypt's North Sinai province.

According to reports, 109 people were injured in the incident.

On Friday Morning, a massive explosion rocked the Al-Rawada mosque, located in the town of Beur El Abes, in North Sinai’s Al-Arish, Egypt Independent reported.

The attack took place during Friday prayers.

Large number of worshippers had assembled at the mosque when the attack took place.

Three days of national mourning has been announced following the attack.

Responding to the attack, the Egyptian military said they had carried out airstrikes on terrorist targets.

Condemning the attack, US President Donald Trump said he would like to talk to the Egyptian President over the attack and terrorism issue.

"Will be calling the President of Egypt in a short while to discuss the tragic terrorist attack, with so much loss of life. We have to get TOUGHER AND SMARTER than ever before, and we will. Need the WALL, need the BAN! God bless the people of Egypt." Trump tweeted.

Trump also called the attack "cowardly". "Horrible and cowardly terrorist attack on innocent and defenseless worshipers in Egypt. The world cannot tolerate terrorism, we must defeat them militarily and discredit the extremist ideology that forms the basis of their existence!"

UK President Theresa May tweeted to say: "Appalled by the sickening attack on a mosque in North Sinai. Condolences with all those in #Egypt affected by this evil and cowardly act."

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter to condemn theattack. "Strongly condemn the barbaric terrorist attack on a place of worship in Egypt. Our deep condolences at the loss of innocent lives. India resolutely supports the fight against all forms of terrorism and stands with the people as well as Government of Egypt."


Image : twitter.com/AlsisiOfficial

Related Images
General Election in Singapore 10 Jul 2020, 02:19 pm
World in Photo : July 8, 2020 10 Jul 2020, 12:27 pm
Related Videos
View this post on Instagram

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again; UNESCO regrets #HagiaSophia, #Turkey, #Istanbul, #HagiaSophiaMosqueAgain Istanbul/IBNS: Hagia Sophia, Turkey's iconic monument, a UNESCO World Heritage and one of the central attractions of its capital Istanbul, is no longer a museum. It has been turned back as a mosque though some 1500 years ago it was built as an Orthodox Christian cathedral. Hagia Sophia was converted into a mosque during the Ottoman time in 1453 while under Ataturk it was turned into a museum in 1935. The decision comes amid a growing rise of the Islamists in Turkey who had been demanding that it be restored as a mosque though Opposition leaders with secular credentials had been against the move. A top court in Turkey ruled that turning it into a museum in 1935 by modern Turkey's secular architect Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was illegal, paving the way for present Turkey president Recep Tayyip Erdogan to declare it as a mosque again and to open it for Muslim prayers. Erdogan made the announcement an hour after the court ruled the conversion to museum in 1935 as illegal and scrapped its status. "May it be beneficial," posted Erdogan on Twitter, sharing an official document on the change with his signature. UNESCO regrets In an immediate reaction, UNESCO said it "deeply regrets" the decision. UNESCO said it was "regrettable that the Turkish decision was not the subject of dialog nor notification beforehand". "UNESCO calls on the Turkish authorities to open a dialog without delay in order to avoid a step back from the universal value of this exceptional heritage whose preservation will be reviewed by the World Heritage Committee in its next session," the United Nation's cultural body said in a statement. Istanbul icon of beauty and wonderment According to Turkey's official tourism website, Hagia Sophia is a remarkable achievement in the history of architecture. and a living proof of mankind's revolt against the laws of physics and it calls it a monument whose importance transcends borders. It is one of UNESCO's World Cultural Heritage sites attracting millions of visitors across the world with its majestic grandeur

A post shared by India Blooms News Service (@indiablooms) on

Erdogan's Turkey turns Hagia Sophia into a mosque again 11 Jul 2020, 01:37 pm