Australian government announces new gun amnesty

Australian government announces new gun amnesty

India Blooms News Service | 16 Jun 2017

Melbourne, June 16 (IBNS): In a major development, the Australian government on Friday said it will implement a three-month gun amnesty from July 1.

"The National Firearms Amnesty will commence on July 1, giving Australians an opportunity to hand in unregistered and unwanted firearms and improve community safety," country's Justice Minister Michael Keenan announced in a statement,"

"This is the first nation-wide gun amnesty since 1996, when the Howard Government took decisive action following the devastation of the Port Arthur Massacre," Michael Keenan said,

He said: "While there have been state-based amnesties since then, it is again time that we give every Australian the chance to dispose of firearms without fear of being prosecuted."

For three months, until Sept 30, anyone with unwanted and unregistered firearms or firearm-related items can legally dispose of or register them at approved drop-off points in each state and territory.

"This is as much about giving a family a chance to get rid of an old heirloom as it is about getting rid of guns off our streets," read the statement.

"Sadly, as recent events have shown us, just one gun in the wrong hands can be deadly," he said.

He urged Australians to take the opportunity to help remove unregistered firearms from the community.

"There is no cost involved with handing in firearms or related items for destruction, and outside of the amnesty period, anyone caught with an unregistered firearm could face a fine of up to $280,000, up to 14 years in jail, and a criminal record," he said.

Australian government announces new gun amnesty

India Blooms News Service
Comments (0)

Post your comment:

Web Analytics