The head of the UN migration agency IOM, stood in the middle of the ancient Turkish city of Antakya on Saturday, and called on the international community to “strengthen its efforts” to ensure aid reaches the millions impacted by last month’s deadly earthquakes.
New York: One month on from the two catastrophic earthquakes that struck Türkiye and Syria, more than 850,000 children remain displaced after being forced from their damaged or destroyed homes amid millions in dire need of aid, UN agencies said.
Ne York: Top UN officials on Tuesday called on the Security Council’s strong support for Syria following the 6 February earthquakes, which worsened an already dire situation in the wake of 12 years of brutal civil war.
New York: The head of the UN World Food Programme (WFP) concluded a visit on Saturday to devastated Syrian and Turkish communities and aid supply routes, calling on authorities to open more border crossings to help survivors of the earthquakes that hit both countries in early February.
New York: A senior official with the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) on Friday called for greater support for boys and girls affected by the powerful earthquakes in Türkey, which have left more than one million people homeless.
New York: The United Nations on Thursday launched a $1 billion appeal for Turkey to assist more than five million people affected by the cataclysmic earthquakes last week, the largest to hit the country in a century.
New York: The UN Secretary-General has welcomed the decision on Monday by the Syrian president to open two further crossing points on the Turkish border to allow more aid into the stricken northwest of the country.
New York: The World Health Organization (WHO) has launched a $43 million appeal to support earthquake response in Syria and Türkey, Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced on Sunday.
New York: Humanitarians will launch appeals for Türkiye and Syria in the aftermath of the deadly earthquakes this week, UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Martin Griffiths said on Saturday.
Cairo/UNI: Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus arrived in Syria, five days after the country was rocked by powerful earthquakes, Syrian state news agency SANA reported.
New York: A second UN aid convoy reached northwest Syria on Friday to help victims of the still-unfolding earthquake tragedy, but humanitarians have warned that far more lifesaving help is needed, and much more quickly.
New York: Now is the time to stand up for the people of Türkiye and Syria living in the region of the deadly earthquake disaster, said the UN chief on Thursday, and show them “the same kind of support and generosity” which they have displayed in recent years, aiding millions of refugees and displaced people fleeing conflict.
New York: As a UN aid convoy reached Syria on Thursday for the first time since devastating earthquakes cut off supply lines from Türkiye three days ago, UN Special Envoy for Syria, Geir Pedersen, called for assurances that desperately needed assistance inside Syria would not be held up or “politicized”.
Antakya/IBNS: As the rescue operation continues, the toll in the Turkey-Syria earthquake has surpassed 17,500 people, making the calamity one of the deadliest in decades.
Ankara: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Wednesday during his visit to the worst-hit region after a massive earthquake that the death toll in his country has surged to 8,574, bringing the total fatalities with neighboring Syria to over 11,000.