Matter between Kumble and Kohli was not handled properly: Sourav Ganguly
Ganguly, who is also a member of the Cricket Advisory Committee, was quoted as saying by media: "The matter between Kumble and Kohli should have been handled a lot better, by whoever in charge. It was not handled properly."
Anil Kumble stepped down as the head coach on June 20, following the rumours regarding his rift with the Indian captain Virat Kohli.
While the Cricket Advisory Committee had endorsed an extension to his tenure as head coach, Kumble decided not to continue as the coach.
He was appointed as the coach over Ravi Sashtri by the Cricket Advisory Committee which comprises of former Indian cricketers like Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman, last year.
Issuing a statement on Twitter, Kumble had said: "I was informed for the first time yesterday by the BCCI that the Captain had reservations with my 'style' and about my continuing as the Head Coach."
The former Indian coach even said he was surprised to hear from BCCI about Kohli's 'reservations', since he believes that he always maintained "respected role boundaries between Captain and Coach".
As a coach, Kumble's performance was outstanding with no series defeat in the entire last season of both test cricket and One Day International matches.
The former Indian spinner, who also led the Indian team for sometime, admitted that BCCI tried to resolve issues between him and Kohli but he certainly felt the "partnership was untenable", so he decided to "move on".
Rumours were going on for last few months about the possible rift between Indian captain Virat Kohli and coach Anil Kumble, though the news was not confirmed any way.
Kohli, in a press conference during Champions Trophy this month, said these were made up stories by the media. It was nothing but the minor disagreement between them, he said.
Prior to the end of Champions Trophy, BCCI has also put up a notice for the selection of a new coach. While Virender Sehwag applied for the job, Kumble was given a free entry to the process.
Reports suggested that former Indian captain Ravi Shastri, is likely to apply for the coach's post. Reacting to this, Ganguly, who will pick the next head coach for the national side along with Tendulkar and Laxman, said: "Everybody has got the right to apply. We will find out. I can also apply provided I'm not an administrator."
A year ago, Shastri held Ganguly responsible for not getting the job of head coach. The former team director passed some personal comments against Ganguly, to which the latter reacted strongly.
In the interim, the BCCI has deputed MV Sridhar, GM - Cricket Operations to supervise the Team Management for the West Indies tour, which commenced from June 23.
Image: Official Facebook page of Sourav Ganguly.