October 18, 2021 23:40 (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
South Africa rejects Russian made Sputnik V amid fears of HIV among men | CBSE term 1 board exam for Class 10 and 12 to start from Nov 30 | Karnataka Congress calls PM Modi 'Angootha-chhaap', triggers controversy | Kerala rains: Toll climbs to 23 in two districts | 30 Punjab locations affected by 'Rail Roko' called by SKM against Lakhimpur incident
New Zealand team back out of Pakistan tour citing security concern New Zaland
BlackCaps Twitter page

New Zealand team back out of Pakistan tour citing security concern

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 17 Sep 2021, 03:39 pm

Islamabad: New Zealand team on Friday cited security concerns as it  backed out of its tour of Pakistan.

The team abandoned the tour just hours before the first match was to start between the two sides in Rawalpindi.

New Zealand Cricket said in a statement: "The BLACKCAPS are abandoning their tour of Pakistan following a New Zealand government security alert. Arrangements are now being made for the team’s departure."

"New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series," PCB said in a statement.

"Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan Government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand Cricket of the same. The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team," read the statement.

"The security officials with the New Zealand team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Pakistan Government throughout their stay here," it said.

PCB said it is willing to continue the scheduled matches.

Meanwhile, PCB chief Ramiz Raja said he will take the matter to ICC.

"Crazy day it has been! Feel so  sorry for the fans and our players. Walking out of the tour by taking a unilateral approach on a security threat is very frustrating. Especially when it’s not shared!! Which world is NZ living in??NZ will hear us at ICC," he tweeted.