February 16, 2026 10:16 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Uyghur
Image: World Uyghur Congress website

World Uyghur Congress calls on US Secretary of State to address Uyghur genocide on eve of US-China meeting

| @indiablooms | Mar 21, 2021, at 06:54 am

Washington: On the occasion of the first high-level, in-person meeting between United States (US) and Chinese officials under the Biden administration on Thursday in Alaska, the World Uyghur Congress (WUC) has urged US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, to adequately address the Uyghur genocide, along with several other recommendations.

“I’m deeply grateful that Secretary Antony Blinken and National Security Advisor, Jake Sullivan will directly raise China’s ongoing Uyghur genocide with high level Chinese officials during their first meeting, in Alaska. The Biden Administration’s strong position on holding China accountable for committing both genocide and crimes against humanity against Uyghurs and Turkic people in East Turkistan give us great hope and assurance,’’ said WUC President, Dolkun Isa.

The US Government has played a crucial role in addressing the Chinese government’s crimes against the Uyghurs and other Turkic peoples.

The actions taken by the former and current Administrations, including the adoption of the Uyghur Human Rights Policy Act, the recent Withhold Release Order (WRO) on cotton products from East Turkistan, and the ongoing efforts to pass the Uyghur Forced Labour Prevention Act are deeply appreciated by the Uyghur community and sets a great example for the international community, WUC said.

Moreover, the U.S. government’s’ official designation of China’s crimes against Uyghurs as  “genocide” by former State Secretary Mike Pompeo, and taken over by the Biden Administration – as most recently reiterated at the United Nations Human Rights Council – has been nothing less than a landmark in the international recognition of the Uyghur genocide.

It is in this light that today’s meeting between U.S. and Chinese diplomats is an important opportunity for the United States to further raise the Uyghur genocide.

Next to the Biden Administration’s persistently strong position on China’s egregious human rights violations, the WUC welcomed Secretary of State Blinken’s remarks last week that during today’s meeting, the US will continue to actively speak out against these violations.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.