February 22, 2026 03:34 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit

Turkey hunts 54 military personnel over failed coup

| @indiablooms | Dec 24, 2019, at 07:15 pm

Istanbul/Xinhua/UNI: Turkish prosecutors on Tuesday ordered the detention of dozens of military personnel, including 31 soldiers in active service, over their alleged links to a network believed to be behind a coup attempt in 2016.

Police launched operations in 16 provinces across the country to capture the suspects, including eight soldiers in active service, upon the order of the Chief Public Prosecutor's Office in Istanbul, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported.

So far, 34 have been detained, Anadolu said, noting police were continuing to hunt the other suspects.

In a separate investigation conducted by prosecutors in the central Anatolian province of Konya, police launched raids in 23 provinces to capture a total of 30 suspects, including 23 on-duty soldiers, Anadolu said.

According to the agency, the suspects were accused of serving as covert imams for the group led by the US-based Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen.

Ankara blames Gulen and his network for the coup bid in July 2016, in which 250 people were killed. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.