February 17, 2026 06:47 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Australia-Canada-US-UK
UNSPLASH

Top diplomats of Australia, Canada, UK, US express concern over Hong Kong mass arrests

| @indiablooms | Jan 11, 2021, at 02:00 am

Moscow/Sputnik: The top diplomats of Australia, Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom expressed their concern with the recent arrest of scores of pro-democracy figures in Hong Kong, a joint statement shared by Washington’s State Department said.

Earlier in the week, Hong Kong police detained over 50 of the most prominent anti-Beijing activists over involvement in last year’s informal primary election. They were released with no charge the next day, except for two who were charged with subversion under the new National Security Law.

"We, the Foreign Ministers of Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom, and the United States Secretary of State, underscore our serious concern at the mass arrests of 55 politicians and activists in Hong Kong for subversion under the National Security Law," a State Department said.

The statement went on to call Hong Kong and Chinese authorities to respect the guaranteed freedoms of Hong Kongers and to ensure an inclusive Legislative Council elections in September.

The foreign ministers reiterated their positions that the National Security Law is a breach of the Sino-British Joint Declaration that undermines the One Country, Two Systems framework.

In the primaries last July, the activists heavily campaigned on behalf of anti-Beijing candidates with the express goal of securing the necessary proportion of legislative seats in the postponed September election to block the passing of bills and budgets and to force Chief Executive Carrie Lam to step down. Hong Kong police used this pretext to detain the activists this week, citing subversion under the new law.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.