February 17, 2026 05:08 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
South Korea Cafe
Pixabay

S Korean gyms, cafes sue government over losses amid COVID-19 restrictions: Reports

| @indiablooms | Jan 12, 2021, at 10:53 pm

Moscow/ Sputnik: Hundreds of gym and cafe owners in South Korea have filed or will soon file for compensation to cover losses incurred due to the COVID-19 restrictions, the Yonhap news agency reported on Tuesday.

According to the agency, 203 gym owners who are members of the Pilates and Fitness Business Association have filed for 5 million won ($4,500) each, arguing that the restrictions on the gyms' operation have no scientific grounds.

The association's head Park Joo-hyung said that the restrictions were groundless since less than one percent of COVID-19 infections, which were registered in the capital of Seoul, were found in the visitors of indoor gyms.

"If the government imposed an assembly ban and other restrictions simply due to the belief that [saliva] sprays more at indoor sports facilities, they must reconsider," Park said, as quoted by the media.

The founder of the association of the country's cafe owners, Ko Jang-soo, said that roughly 200 cafe owners were planning to sue for a total of 1 billion won in damages they suffered due to the restrictions.

"We're filing a suit out of desperation because our livelihoods are at risk due to the government's COVID-19 regulations," Ko said, as quoted by Yonhap.

In late November, the South Korean government imposed restrictions on the operation of cafes, allowing the entities only to deliver and sell takeout food and drinks.

In early December, South Korean gyms were forced to close due to a rapid spike in COVID-19 infections. Last week, the government allowed gyms to accept up to nine children at a time, though this decision failed to improve the situation in the industry.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.